Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stereo to mono class-d amplifier

Amp will be used for videogames, connected through 3.5mm to monitor. I am trying to convert stereo amp into mono but keep the volume knob. pins going in and out of the potenciometer are marked yellow, where i want to join L and R with resistor is marked red. So i am wondering, instead of putting separate resistor on each channel, could i just use 1 to bridge L and R channel (marked with red R) ? It wont be perfect mono, but for video games .., and i at least i protect the channels a bit and get to keep the potenciometer. The potenciometer when turned all the way has 1.2 ohm.

edit: Amp will be connected only through 3.5mm jack, so bluetooth wont be used. Would it be easier to just make mono using the pins around 3.5" ? Desolder the pins and put 50 or 100 ohms on each channel ?

Attachments

• 20240626_180430 - Copy.jpg
    20240626_180430 - Copy.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240626_180430.jpg
    20240626_180430.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240626_180454.jpg
    20240626_180454.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
Not to get out of hand here,

1) i was asking about resistors for stereo -> mono because i cannot add the resistors if i want to keep the volume pot and i want to keep it. I could maybe desolder the pins near 3.5mm input but i think i will just risk it since its a 8$ amp.

2) question about volume is for a different usecase but same type of amp. I like to stick to high voltage, since they mentioned distortion i would bet my ass that lower voltage affects audio quality. And since on that particular amp i soldered my cable directly to 3.5mm pins, its really easy for me to add a resistor on each channel. Hopefuly that will reduce the volume without introducing to much hiss.

EDIT: I use this cheap amps all the time. I can't tell the difference between this 3116 amp and a big Pioneer amplifier i had before. Might be that the pioneer was that bad or im just deaf. In either case, since i started from complete 0, this amps are a great way to experiment and learn new things without being afraid to damage anything. If it was a 100$ amp, i wouldn't be so keen on testing whether resistors are needed when mixing stereo into mono :)

Not to get out of hand here,

1) i was asking about resistors for stereo -> mono because i cannot add the resistors if i want to keep the volume pot and i want to keep it. I could maybe desolder the pins near 3.5mm input but i think i will just risk it since its a 8$ amp.

2) question about volume is for a different usecase but same type of amp. I like to stick to high voltage, since they mentioned distortion i would bet my ass that lower voltage affects audio quality. And since on that particular amp i soldered my cable directly to 3.5mm pins, its really easy for me to add a resistor on each channel. Hopefuly that will reduce the volume without introducing to much hiss.

EDIT: I use this cheap amps all the time. I can't tell the difference between this 3116 amp and a big Pioneer amplifier i had before. Might be that the pioneer was that bad or im just deaf. In either case, since i started from complete 0, this amps are a great way to experiment and learn new things without being afraid to damage anything. If it was a 100$ amp, i wouldn't be so keen on testing whether resistors are needed when mixing stereo into mono :)
You can just solder the resistors at the 3.5mm input cable.

Latest threads

Back