Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blender Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcakke

So I'm using a blender's motor to fling stuff around and off of surfaces, but have realized that the lowest of low settings is still too fast. I have read other forums here mentioning that for variable controls, use a light dimmer which sounds like an awesome idea. I was wondering if there is anything else that could be used to reduce the speed. I only want something that is around 200-500 RPM (not sure what the lowest speed on my blender is rated at). Would it be possible to combine two light dimmers in series and take it down to even slower speeds?

Thanks in advance,
Cupcakke

No you can't use two dimmers in series.

Why are you asking about using two if you haven't tried one?

Yes, try one first and see how it works. And don't listen to those who'll tell you that you're not supposed to use a dimmer on a universal motor (AC/DC) appliance like a blender. Technically, they're correct. However, it will work without damage to either device (dimmer or blender). I've used dimmers on inductive loads before with no problems (my resistance soldering unit is basically a big honkin' transformer with a dimmer on the primary).

It may not get as slow as you like, but it's cheap and easy to try, so you have no excuse: Get out there and let's hear some results!

Well it definitely has slowed it down, not sure exactly how slow but its a noticeable drop. It is also extremely finicky, only about 1/3rd of the "switch" turns it on, assuming its not enough juice to get it turning. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Not the most electrical savvy person but usually can manage alright.

Well it definitely has slowed it down, not sure exactly how slow but its a noticeable drop. It is also extremely finicky, only about 1/3rd of the "switch" turns it on, assuming its not enough juice to get it turning. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Not the most electrical savvy person but usually can manage alright.

Sounds like your only option is to use reduction gear. The motor can't deliver much torque at low speeds.
Try to slow it down from "full" speed and see how low you can go that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back