Blinking Output Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee-rad

I have a vision, I just need some help in getting there. My experience is focused more on the 12V wiring end of things, but I am able to understand conceptual and assembly of elementary electronics.

What I want to do is have a 12V input into a device that outputs a constant +12V signal for the duration of the cycle. The second output is to have a 'delayed ON' of 1 sec. The 3rd output is to have a 'delayed ON' of 2 seconds. All three outputs would remain on for 1 second and then the cycle would start over.

Why? Well I want to use add a trick tailight to the underside of my supermoto. The idea is to mount 3 flexible LED tail light strips much like these stacked ontop of one another:
**broken link removed**

Then when the brake is applied the strips of LEDs will cycle in a basic pattern. The motorcycles max output voltage to the timer would be 15V. The timer must output this voltage as the LED strips have built-in resistors to drop the voltage. I do not know the current demands of the switched side, but since its LED, I don't think it will be high but perhaps a transistor or relay may be needed.

Where do I start?

I tried to make timing diagram from you description but I think it's not 100% correct. So please correct it so that we all know exactly what you want.

Output 1 is on for the whole cycle brake on to brake off
Output 2 has a delay of 1 sec but it's unclear to me if it remain on for 1 second or until output 3 goes off.
Output 3 has a delay of 2 sec and remain on for only 1 sec.

bee-rad said:
Where do I start?
First make a new timing diagram according to your needs.

Attachments

• BrakeLight.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 205
Yes a timing diagram is a good idea. I am not sure which pattern would work best. Its one of those things where I feel that I need to see it in action to decide on whether output 1 pulses or stays constant. I chose a random number of 0.5 seconds to show 'Concept 2', but perhaps one much shorter time would be most ideal. I would imagine adding this feature makes the circuit 10X harder?

Attachments

• Brake light Timing.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 206
From a conceptual (and possibly legal?) point of view I'd think that being a brake light you'd want to make sure you had at least one of the LED strips on at all times while you're braking.

Have you considered simply hooking up a momentary switch to each LED strip to help visualize the patterns? It's the quickest and easiest way I can think of to see what they'll look like.

I should note that this isn't to replace the standard taillight, but to soley compliment the existing one when doing stoppies. I drew the lights underneath the tail section of this supermoto (Overtop of the exhaust basically). Is it possible to have a dip switch that could change between the 2 types of flash patterns?

Attachments

• Stoppie.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 518
OK, so you want something like the following?

Notes: - means "an off light", O means "an on light", and Time0 is when the brake is not applied. The circuit cycles through Time1, Time2, and Time3 repeatedly when the brake is applied.

Code:
| Time0 | Time1 | Time2 | Time 3 |
+=======+=======+=======+========+
|  ---  |  OOO  |  OOO  |  OOO   |
|  ---  |  ---  |  OOO  |  OOO   |
|  ---  |  ---  |  ---  |  OOO   |
+=======+=======+=======+========+

Is this what you're after?

Torben

Use a small PIC or other microcontroller to turn the lights on and off for you, then? You can add however many input switches you like to select between different blinking patterns.

u can use a 555 timer for that. make it generate a 1 sec pulse and give its output to the clock input of a sequence counter. thats it if i understood ur scenario correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…