Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bored With Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a issue with Gardening. Living in the Northeast, half the year is Winter, and the other half is spring/summer. In the past years its just been "Summer and Slightly warm winter". This year its been actual Northeastern Weather, Very cold winter, cool spring (so far) and possibly a warm summer. I cant do indoor, not enough room, and plus the cat likes to eat green things.

Just hit me...I am bored when not working. No garden here...just a cement slab around my place.
No grass to water/cut. No flowers to attend to. No place to grow anything. Just frigging cement everywhere.
You could always try aquaponics on some tables set up on your concrete slab. You have the pleasure of fish as well as plants then, and you also get to try your hand at electronic monitoring and/or control of the pumps, temperature, water composition (nitrogen/ammonia/TDS/etc.). There's a video (probably many and should be easy to find on youtube) of some old guy setting up an Arduino internet-of-things project to control his whole setup, and provide remote monitoring and control.
Overclocked said:
Theres a issue with Gardening. Living in the Northeast, half the year is Winter, and the other half is spring/summer. In the past years its just been "Summer and Slightly warm winter". This year its been actual Northeastern Weather, Very cold winter, cool spring (so far) and possibly a warm summer. I cant do indoor, not enough room, and plus the cat likes to eat green things.
Some veges like cooler weather, e.g. brassicas (turnips, brocolli, cabbage, etc.), and you should be able to grow lettuce (and others) for half the year.

Overclocked - it doesn't have to be a vegetable or flower garden - just grow what will grow!
TV - over here people who don't have gardens often grow things in containers - even in high-rise! Just a few pots or whatever you have handy, even old tyres! If you have a yard I'm sure you can stick something in there!
Mickster - my neighbours have chickens. It's lovely to hear them. Good luck with getting crop to plate :)
Mr Al - thinking of taking it up again?

Oh and you get to dig. Digging's great :)

Gravediggers in terror movies use to be fat short people with hats on and a cigar in their mouth. Maybe they insist with the fitness goal in their mind...:joyful:

When I was still a kid we had to move to an almost rural part of the small city where we lived at. I enjoyed for a short period the pleasure of growing different vegetables and something I learnt by myself: turning a rose cutting in a flourishing plant.

Last edited:
Overclocked - it doesn't have to be a vegetable or flower garden - just grow what will grow!
TV - over here people who don't have gardens often grow things in containers - even in high-rise! Just a few pots or whatever you have handy, even old tyres! If you have a yard I'm sure you can stick something in there!
Mickster - my neighbours have chickens. It's lovely to hear them. Good luck with getting crop to plate :)
Mr Al - thinking of taking it up again?

Hi,

Well i dont know, it is a lot of work that's for sure. I hate the tomatoes from the stores around here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back