Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Braces

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
When you get braces for the first day (or maybe first 3) whenever you bite down on something even slightly, does it feel like a lot of extra pressure and that your brackets are going to pop off? DOes this ever go away? Or will it always feel like you are biting down 5 times harder than you really are?

It goes away, but comes back each time the orthodontist re-adjusts them. Good lick. John

Ever get a popcorn husk stuck inbetween two teeth tightly? Same general sensation though I bet what your going through is more intense, and lasts longer. I have some moderate teeth crowding so I know the sensation.

I've heard that if a fork comes into contact with the braces you feel a tingle as a small current is generated the dissimilar metals with your saliva acting as an electrolyte.

I had braces when I was a kid. Not fun times:(

Yes, they feel awful and akward at first, but after a while you don't notice them as much, and in time will even be able to talk half way normal again.;)

THey are much more comfortable than retainers. THe bad part is you can't take them off when you eat something like a retainer which is the major pain in the ass.

And then there's the surgery at the end to top it all off which is what's really freaking me out. ANd I'm a bit pissed because I should be out of surgery by now but my parents never let me do this 4 years ago when I wanted to because for some reason they thought the surgery was right away and that it would interfere with school. Now I'm stuck in the local area for 2 years after graduation instead.

Surgery? Whats that for?

I had horrible teeth when I was a kid. In had teeth behind teeth.:eek:
I had to have 4 teeth pulled, then had an "H" shaped appliance intalled in the roof of my mouth. It had a screw in the center that I would turn every night that slowly spread my upper jaw. It always hurt because it was alway putting pressure on everthing.
2 years of braces followed. Then retainers. It was not a pleasent experiance at all, but I do have normal looking teeth now, so I ca't say I regret it.

Last edited:
Surely you didn't think having straight teeth is all there is to having a proper bite did you? THe surgery is to realign the jaw. Even if my teeth were perfectly straight I'd still only have two teeth that touch (the upper left and lower left molar). Too much bone has grown at the back of my jaw so the back teeth are farther down than they should be preventing any other teeth from touching. They have to go in saw the jaw into chunks, remove or add bits and then bolt it back together with plates.

It's called "orthognathic surgery".

I just finished flossing for the second time and I am PISSED and feel like breaking something. I also feel like clocking the people who have had braces but no surgery and keeps telling me I'm going to get used to the braces.

Last edited:
I once had my braces tightened on the day of a big 9th grade dance. You don't realize how pissed a man can get when there are unlimited tacos at your fingertips but you are unable to eat even one :(

Surely you didn't think having straight teeth is all there is to having a proper bite did you? THe surgery is to realign the jaw. Even if my teeth were perfectly straight I'd still only have two teeth that touch (the upper left and lower left molar). Too much bone has grown at the back of my jaw so the back teeth are farther down than they should be preventing any other teeth from touching. They have to go in saw the jaw into chunks, remove or add bits and then bolt it back together with plates.

It's called "orthognathic surgery".

I just finished flossing for the second time and I am PISSED and feel like breaking something. I also feel like clocking the people who have had braces but no surgery and keeps telling me I'm going to get used to the braces.

I know your situation perfectly, I first had to get surgery and get a screw installed in the "roof" of my mouth (as Andy puts it) after that, I got braces and they removed the screw, that is only the half of it. After that they had to realign my jaw, surgery again, now my jaws are in order, my bite is perfect, now all i have to wait for is to get these stupid braces out, when I come back from Canada they should go off!

Oh, and for me, after surgery, not being able to eat anything properly for a week made me lose 5kgs or so, dangerous stuff for me since I am lightweight as I am already...

So I know your situation, the pain will go away, and then they readjust something, the pain comes back, next surgery, I am going to be SOOO glad once all this stuff gets out of my mouth :D

Don't be scared, I know it isn't the most comfortable thing to have but you will be glad once the results start showing of, you can actually CHEW stuff, my jaws were so out of line they also had to pull my wisdom teeth (all 4 of them) luckily they did all of that during the first surgery and they gave em to me, they now stand proudly on top of my desk in that special water :D I also still got the bar, it's a nice piece of mechanics :D

Well, good luck, and you'll be glad you had all this stuff done.

Keeping the teeth is kind of creepy, then again my wife keeps her sons teeth. I'm just not the nostalgic type. Must suck, but sounds like the payoff is worth it.

I wonder if you could sell them for use in dentures.:D

My creepy scale just hit 9.95 out of 10.

I got my braces on late, but I hardly notice them, and at times I forget that I am wearing them. The whole fork thing is not true as far as I have seen, but I have connected a led and a 2AA battery pack up to meh braces. slightly tingly, but the LED lit up. I was very bored ATM :p

right now I am working on ViPER and some other junk, and charging my big SLA batteries.

I've heard that if a fork comes into contact with the braces you feel a tingle as a small current is generated the dissimilar metals with your saliva acting as an electrolyte.

it depents what metal the fork is

i don't have braces anymore but have manganese fillings

hit them with aluminium fork or some chewing gum paper (aluminium also) and you will be awake :eek: (that's NOT a nice feeling)

stainles steel is not an iseu

Robert-Jan

Aluminum forks? I have never seen an aluminum fork, but I have seen brass. Very strange.

in the former comunist eastern europe states they're pretty comon

thats where i experiance it for the first time during my travels (Yugaslavia Chech republic Poland)

seen them also in laos and myamar (all comunistic states so you would think it's a comunistic thing)

Robert-jan

edit: Myamar is not a comunistic state that's just a paranoija junta (they don't have any idiology)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back