Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Braces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you didn't think having straight teeth is all there is to having a proper bite did you?

No, but then again I don't know much about it either. I never had any kind of sugery, but my bite isn't perfect either. I still have a slight overbite amoung other things not fitting quite right.

I never got used to flossing with braces on. I think I flossed twice the whole time I had them. Never got any cavitys though:eek::D

Ther's a natural evolution to human teeth:

1. bottle sucking
2. thumb sucking
3. braces
4. large quantity of fillings
5. root canals become commonplace
6. dental caps
7. post & bridge denture
8. full set of dentures

Of course steps 3 through 8 can be eliminated from the start by goingwith wooden teeth ... it worked for George Washington!

Ther's a natural evolution to human teeth:
0. niple sucking
1. bottle sucking
2. thumb sucking
3. braces
3.5 niple sucking
4. large quantity of fillings
5. root canals become commonplace
6. dental caps
7. post & bridge denture
7.5 no more niple sucking
8. full set of dentures

Of course steps 3 through 8 can be eliminated from the start by goingwith wooden teeth ... it worked for George Washington!

:D:D:D
wooden teeth:eek: is that a form of torcher ????

There's no shame in wearing braces or any medical device at a young age. My fellow classmates wore braces, body supports and medical apparatuses, and weren't visibly affected by the devices. A medical device doesn't make you unlikeable or unkissable, unless you choose to be hidden from public view. Recently, I saw a Thalidomide adult with fingers out of their shoulders, no arms.

Last edited:
There's no shame in wearing braces or any medical device at a young age. My fellow classmates wore braces, body supports and medical apparatuses, and weren't visibly affected by the devices. A medical device doesn't make you unlikeable or unkissable, unless you choose to be hidden from public view. Recently, I saw a Thalidomide adult with fingers out of their shoulders, no arms.

But it can tie you down to your current city for 2 years (they say you can switch doctors and surgeons, but honestly, who is really going to do that for what is, more often than not, a small incremental improvement to the my job). And that is what has me steaming because I took that into account when I tried to get this done 4 years ago, but parents stepped in and stopped me because they thought it would interfere with school. Well now it's interferring with life. GREAT.

ANd from the looks of it, it's not even worth to travel unless I stop giving a crap about keeping these things clean because it seems to be so high maintance, even if they stop jabbing at my mouth and impeding by ability to take a bite out of anything (which I could barely do before but now it's pretty much not possible with these things).

Last edited:
Piece of crap time limit on the edit.

But it can tie you down to your current city for 2 years (they say you can switch doctors and surgeons, but honestly, who is really going to do that for what is, more often than not, a small incremental improvement to the my job). And that is what has me steaming because I took that into account when I tried to get this done 4 years ago, but parents stepped in and stopped me because they thought it would interfere with school. Well now it's interferring with life. GREAT.

THe jabbing is a constant reminder that I am stuck in this area for 2 more years which is *so not* ideal for my professional interests right when I'm supposed to start looking for the real job and getting out on my own. It was their idea, I told them it would require surgery- they didn't believe me because "I'm not a doctor". Anyone could tell you that simply realigning my teeth wouldn't have fixed my bite by a long shot. So after deciding to get it done, they chickened out when they found out it REALLY DID require surgery. And here I am 4 years later and now they're acting like it's MY FAULT. You have no idea how much that pissed me off.

ANd from the looks of it, I am not sure it's not even worth sspending time traveling unless I stop giving a crap about keeping these things clean because it seems to be so high maintance, even if they stop jabbing at my mouth and impeding by ability to take a bite out of anything (which I could barely do before but now it's pretty much not possible with these things).

Unresolved issues? You bet.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the question is or whether you simply are expressing frustration. Remember, my comments are related to the US medical system too.

If you are concerned about switching doctors, I would disagree that that is hard to do. You mention surgery. Are you seeing an oral surgeon, orthodontist, (?)-- I am not sure of the organization in Canada. I have never met a doctor --physician or dentist-- who was uncomfortable referring a patient to another doctor.

So, I would find the job and then handle the doctor referrals later. There is a possibility that the job, even if in the same city, will have a type of health coverage (again, dental coverage is usually separate form medical coverage in the USA) that would require you to change doctors. Those policies often include a generous overlap time during which visits with your old doctor will be covered.

John

I got glasses. Worst vision of anyone I know :( 12 degrees (or was it 16? I don't remember) Something like that. Oh well, I like glasses on other people so I won't complain about them on me.

Last edited:
Do you mean -12 diopters (or -16)? That is, you are fairly nearsighted.

If that is the case, don't despair. One of my daughters is even worse. She is happily married and has beautiful children. While you may not be a good candidate for lasik right now, improvements are on the way.

John

Nearsightedness is very common and easy to correct. As I told my daughter (she is almost off the chart, can't find her glasses without them, except by feel), just wait a few years. People with -2 or so often do fine without glasses, except for night driving and reading at a distance.

It sounds like these are your first glasses, but a correction of -12 or more simply does not fit with a normal life without glasses. How in the world did you fly RC helicopters without glasses? Maybe you misunderstood the correction. If they are your first glasses, and regardless of the correction, I would recommend that you bear with them until your eyes stabilize before considering corrective surgery.

John

Nearsightedness is very common and easy to correct. As I told my daughter (she is almost off the chart, can't find her glasses without them, except by feel), just wait a few years. People with -2 or so often do fine without glasses, except for night driving and reading at a distance.

It sounds like these are your first glasses, but a correction of -12 or more simply does not fit with a normal life without glasses. How in the world did you fly RC helicopters without glasses? Maybe you misunderstood the correction. If they are your first glasses, and regardless of the correction, I would recommend that you bear with them until your eyes stabilize before considering corrective surgery.

John

I'm not complaining about glasses. I've had them for as long as I can remember. I've just had them for so long that I don't know anything about them- they've just always been there. What I'm complaining about are braces and oral surgery.

In a few years when you have a mouth full of perfect teeth and no trouble chewing your food reflect on this time => Without correction what you have will almost always get worse. Vision or teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back