Breadboard cabling - which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjpollitt

Anyone have any recommendations for type of cable/wire to use on breadboards?

At the moment I am using single core bell cable, seems to work ok.

Thanks
Graham

I bought one of those jumper wire kits when I got my first breadboard. It's great for the smaller wires when you need to jump 2 or 3 holes.
I also have a bunch of network cable that was in a garbage can at work that I like to use for the larger spans (just cut and strip what I need).

Yeah, I bought a huge wire kit recently from allelectronics.com for $9. They have one for $6 also. Best 9 bucks i ever spent :lol:

22 gauge solid wire makes all the jumpers you could ever want. But the wire kits certainly save a lot of time. Plus, they're multi-colored.

Mike

I've got a few reels of single core wire. It's the exact same stuff that you get in those jumper wire kits, just that I've got a reel of it instead. It's also the stuff I use for doing my stripboards.

Brian

Most network or telephone cable is #24 or smaller gauge. It'll work, but I find that it gets a bit touchy as the breadboard gets a bit of wear on it. I managed to luck into a "deinstallation" at the Naval base where I was stationed on Okinawa. They were throwing out a couple of hundred feet of this cable. It made it to the dumpster but I managed to snag it before the locals got it to recycle for the copper. It was 30 pair cable, each pair individually shielded with a drain wire. All wire was tinned, #22, solid copper with single-color insulation. When you went through all the various pairs, I ended up with all ten EIA colors. Insulated wires could be pulled for breadboarding; drain wires for short breadboard jumpers; shields pulled in long strips for making custom 300-amp jumper cables. Wonderful stuff. Needless to say, I'll never run out of it.

Oh. Uh, the question. Yeah. I like to stick with #22.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…