Bright Display Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy!

Hopefully a quick and simple question here, but I am looking for some input. Another hobby of mine is airsoft, and as a "for fun" project I've been building a PIC based system to be used as a game prop to add a bit of character to gameplay. Built from some scrap parts and some not, the thing works fairly well, several modes to support different operations during game-play, and that panic switch yields quite a satisfying sound when given a good whack for players.

Just one problem....
That display is kinda wimpy. I can't say I'm surprised, it's ripped from an old alarm-clock display. Worked well indoors while building and programming the thing, but fielding it proved that display needs a replacement. Tried recessing it further within the case, but it is still very difficult to read outside. I'm not 100% sure how much current those LED's can take before I'm hurting 'em, but experimenting did fry one of the segments on a set not currently illuminated there on the left of the full display.

Anyone have any ideas for a brighter 7-segment display or tried something like this before? the segments on there are currently ~2" tall. Hoping I can find something that's close, but most importantly, able to be seen outside by players.

Thanks guys!

-EF

Last edited:
if you can provide enough volts/current, then your best bet might be to make your own 7seg's from standard ultra-high-brightness LEDs; say 5 series connected leds per bar should give you a nice bright display of a similar size - also you can make it as big as you want as long as you're willing to assemble more leds and build a suitable driver.

Those LEDs should be able to take around 20mA. Try that, and if it isnt enough you could try a green filter over it or a brighter display, or discrete LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…