Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bump sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crush24

i would like to ask on how to make a bump sensor using PIC16F84A for my automated vacuum cleaner project..thanks:):)

use a pressure transduser if you want to measure the force of the impact
if it is only an detection that have to steer the transportation motors a different direction then end switches would do the job already (no PIC needed)

Robert-Jan

use a pressure transduser if you want to measure the force of the impact
if it is only an detection that have to steer the transportation motors a different direction then end switches would do the job already (no PIC needed)

Robert-Jan

but i have to use a PIC as a requirements...

but i have to use a PIC as a requirements...

A PIC isn't a sensor, but you can write code for a PIC which will allow it to take input from sensors and react accordingly.

Do you know how to program a PIC yet? At least a simple program to make an LED flash? If not (and even if you have some basic understanding of the PIC) then I suggest Nigel's tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk would be a good place to start learning how to use a PIC.

While you're working through that, you need to work out what all the specifications for the robot will be. How much will it weigh, what will the power supply be, what kind of drive mechanism will you use, how many sensors will it need, how much can it cost, etc.

That last one is pretty important. If you have several thousand dollars to spend you will probably make different decisions than if you only have a couple of hundred. :)

Torben

A PIC isn't a sensor, but you can write code for a PIC which will allow it to take input from sensors and react accordingly.

Do you know how to program a PIC yet? At least a simple program to make an LED flash? If not (and even if you have some basic understanding of the PIC) then I suggest Nigel's tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk would be a good place to start learning how to use a PIC.

While you're working through that, you need to work out what all the specifications for the robot will be. How much will it weigh, what will the power supply be, what kind of drive mechanism will you use, how many sensors will it need, how much can it cost, etc.

That last one is pretty important. If you have several thousand dollars to spend you will probably make different decisions than if you only have a couple of hundred. :)

Torben

ok thanks..how about in dust sensor??what sensor is applicable for my project?

Do you have to actually build this, or just come up with a conceptual design/schematics?
If the former does the school give you a budget, or is this out of pocket. I only ask so suggestions are not made beyond your budget :)

Last edited:
Do you have to actually build this, or just come up with a conceptual design/schematics?
If the former does the school give you a budget, or is this out of pocket. I only ask so suggestions are not made beyond your budget :)

nope..out of my own pocket..and hav to build it..miniature is optional..

nope..out of my own pocket..and hav to build it..miniature is optional..

Good to know, so scratch my previous suggestion. Hmm, bump detection...

I do not know what the exact name is, but there use to be these old jar sensors that they used in old car alarms.
I will try to remember, or maybe someone else knows what I am talking about.

I will have to try and vacuum out some of the dust in my head...:)

Hm. My son has a toy which has a simple "bump" sensor built into it.

It's essentially a switch, but instead of regular contacts is uses a spring and a tube, which are both conductive metal. The spring is attached to one side of the switch, and the tube to the other. The tube is mounted vertically on the circuit board and the spring is mounted inside the tube, so that normally the spring does not come into contact with the tube. When the whole thing is jarred, then the spring bends enough to touch the tube wall, which closes the "switch" briefly, but long enough to be sensed.

Then the damn toy starts singing.

I wonder if the spring from a ballpoint pen and a small-gauge aluminium standoff would work for something like this.

Torben

I think the term I was looking for was shock sensor. Digi-key has some at a cost of .78 cents
PKGS-00MF-R-ND PKGS-00MF-R SENSOR SHOCK Murata Electronics

hi crush,

Look at this device, I keep planning to get a few for testing.:)

**broken link removed**

hi crush,

Look at this device, I keep planning to get a few for testing.:)

**broken link removed**

Very cool idea, but how do you connect an interface to them? I mean leads for connections.

Last edited:
Very cool idea, but how do you connect an interface to them? I mean leads for connections.

hi,
Page 862 of the Maplin catalog gives Intefacing details.

Basically its fixed between to electrodes, can be glued or a pressure fit.

For Ref: QTC cable is also available.

Considering the budget, this would seem ideal. I guess he would just surround the bumper with this stuff. Is that your thinking?

hi,
Page 862 of the Maplin catalog gives Intefacing details
Do I have to buy the catalog? **broken link removed**

Have a link? I am having trouble finding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back