Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bump sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have to buy the catalog? **broken link removed**

Have a link? I am having trouble finding...

hi Mike,
I may infringe Maplins copyright if I publish a page of the catalog.:(

Where there's a will there's a way..
**broken link removed**

I Googled: Using Quantum tunneling pills

Last edited:
Your a clever man Eric :) Thanks, and I am sure many others will find that very useful.

Your a clever man Eric :) Thanks, and I am sure many others will find that very useful.

hi Mike,
Did you notice in the web links on that site, Rapids self adhesive 5mm wide copper strip.?

Had OP's asking how to make up simple high current pcb's.

Last edited:
hi Mike,
Did you notice in the web links on that site, Rapids self adhesive 5mm wide copper strip.?

Hmm, just looked. Sounds useful, should I put it in the New E FAQ?
Under circuit build section perhaps.

Last edited:
For a bump sensor, is it to detect bumping into objects, or just a bump in the path of a moving vehicle? For the former, a micro switch is common. For the latter, I would try Torbin's idea of a spring with a weight at the top, in a conductive cylinder.

hi Mike,

Sounds like the tape used for making stained glass objects, and I have seen it in a couple of widths, 5mm and if I recall 10mm widths....

For the high current, not sure if it is 'good practice,' but wide traces covered with a layer of solder seem to work well.

For a bump sensor, is it to detect bumping into objects, or just a bump in the path of a moving vehicle? For the former, a micro switch is common. For the latter, I would try Torbin's idea of a spring with a weight at the top, in a conductive cylinder.
Sounds like the tape used for making stained glass objects, and I have seen it in a couple of widths, 5mm and if I recall 10mm widths....

For the high current, not sure if it is 'good practice,' but wide traces covered with a layer of solder seem to work well.

hi,
What appeals to me is that the q-pills could give a voltage proportional to the impact force
and the electronics could make a suitable response.:)

Last edited:
hi,
What appeals to me is that the q-pills could give a voltage proportional to the impact force
and the electronics could make a suitable response.:)

Sorry Eric, I didn't mean to refute the idea, rather just add my 2 cents on the copper foil tape. :)

I wish I had a couple of those q-pills myself to play with. Kind of gives a new meaning to the phrase "take a pill."

Sorry Eric, I didn't mean to refute the idea, rather just add my 2 cents on the copper foil tape. :)

I wish I had a couple of those q-pills myself to play with. Kind of gives a new meaning to the phrase "take a pill."

Hi, no problem.:)

If you look at the spec for the pills they can pass quite a bit of current, enough to drive a small dc motor.
It should be possible to design a pill circuit that can drive a reversing motor, on a robot, at a rate proportional to the impact force, say from another robot.
Almost a reflex response.!

I too beef up tracks with solder.

I admit that I thought a "bump sensor" was meant to mean something which detected the bot going over a bump. In that case I would probably try the spring-and-tube thing but Eric also makes me wonder whether it would be reasonable to mount the Q-pills in the chassis between bearing elements to do that task.

I have to go to bed soon so I probably won't think too much about it right now but it seems like it could work--depending on the properties of the Q-pills, of course ;).

Torben

You might be right Torben, but the way I interpret was more on the lines of robot bumping into something like chair, door, dog, wife, etc :)
In which case, a Qpill sounds perfect, and give the wife a pill too for the ankle bruise:)

You might be right Torben, but the way I interpret was more on the lines of robot bumping into something like chair, door, dog, wife, etc :)

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion too.

In which case, a Qpill sounds perfect, and give the wife a pill too for the ankle bruise:)

Also right on that one. :)

Torben

Also right on that one.
Kiss her booboo too :) lol
I want to get some of the Q-pill stuff. Cable I think. Hmm, now I can carry out my master plan to control... Muhaha :)
J/K, but sounds useful for our would be robot builder...

my automated vacuum will be use in a small area like bedrooms..so maybe no dogs, or balls..a wall may be an obstacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back