Can I wire ground straight through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revans

Quick question: Can I wire ground straight through?

Hi there,

I would like to put a manual power switch on the back of an LCD monitor I'm modding (based on this).

That is, as opposed to having to switch the monitor's power off at the wall, I'd like to have a switch on the back of monitor for easier access. Reason being: my monitor has decided that when it is receiving power but not a video signal, it will make an annoying high pitched noise - so I want to be able to easily disconnect the power.

I plan to unsolder the IEC socket on the monitor and put a DPST in. I've got a DPST switch (it's rated at 250VAC and 6A) and I know this will work for switching the L and N wires on and off - however it seems my monitor also uses the ground wire.

Can I run the ground straight from the IEC through to the rest of the board's electronics and only disconnect the power via L + N? Or must L, N and ground ALL be switched off for this work, necessitating some kind of triple-pole switch?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You don't want to switch the Neutral only the Line. Both Ground and Neutral should not be switched for safety reasons.

Ron

You don't want to switch the Neutral only the Line. Both Ground and Neutral should not be switched for safety reasons.

Ron

Really? I should ONLY switch the L wire? Why is that? (Any theory beyond safety reasons?).

Last edited:
NEVER switch the earth (Ground) wire, that should be firmly connected at all times.

Also, switching LIVE and NEUTRAL is the correct way to do these things.

JimB

Yeahy, I may have been too quick on that. I thought I remembered it from some OSHA class but the key word is "thought" and Jim B is right on target as you never ever switch ground.

Ron

Okie dokie, so my DPST for switching L and N will do the job nicely. Thanks for helping me out guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…