Can this be done w/ my Renesas M16C/26 dev board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanD

Hello all,

I have a Renesas M16C/26 dev board that i used in a class in college. Its been about 4 years since i've used and i've been messing w/ it a bit trying to figure it out again.

The reason for me getting it out again is that i have a "fun" project in mind. I would like to build a 'dashboard' for my car. I would like to sample some analog inputs (RPM, wheels speed, water/oil temp, etc) and display them on a LCD screen, hook them up to warning lights, etc, etc.

Here is some info on the microcontroller:**broken link removed**

Product Overview:

The M16C/26 is based on the M16C/60 CPU Core and has 1MB of memory space. Maximum operating frequency is 20MHz. A Flash Memory Version is available. Internal Flash Memory is programmable on a single power source.

Key Features:

* 16-bit Multifunction Timer (Timer A and B, incl. 3-phase inverter motor control function): 8 channels
* UART/Clock Synchronous Serial Interface: 3 channels
* 10-bit A/D Converter: 8 channels
* DMAC: 2 channels
* Watchdog Timer
* Clock Generation Circuits: Main Clock Generation Circuit, Sub Clock Generation Circuit, On-chip Oscillator
* Oscillation Stop Detection Function
* I/O Ports: 38
* Interrupts: 20 internal factors, 7 external factors, 4 software factors
* Data Flash: 2KB × 2 blocks

According to the data sheet this unit has 8 (8 or 10bit) ADC channels. so i assume i can monitor 8 analog inputs. Is this assumption correct?

Also how does driving a bigger/differetn display work? i can use the dev kit's onboard LCD, but i dont know how anything else might work. A 5x3" black/white display w/ digital readouts would be ok, but is there anyway to make things graphical?

Is this unit up to the task of monitoring 8 analog signals in real time? What limitations do you forsee? Should i buy a new controller?

Basically i want to know if this is a good idea or not. I admit my class projects were much simpler than this will probably be. Sorry for the novice questions!

the 26 has plenty of horse power to do the job. but...

- it supports a standard character mode (44780) display. you will need to figure out how to hook up a graphical display. not a simple task but achievable if you are willing to take the time to figure it out. start with the specific display you wan. earth LCD has lots though they aren't cheap.

- adc. sure, it can monitor that many channels but you will discover that signal conditioning is an issue. automotive envrionments are quite noisy and noise is the arch-foe of analog. read up on how to handle noise in ADC systems.

Now, a lot of the signals and data are available via the OBDII connector on cars made after 1996 (iirc). here's a chip that you could use for this task https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/04/ELM323DS.pdf I believ eyou could read the OBDII directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…