Capacitor Continuous Current Rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICMICRO

Normally we see that Capacitors are rated for their maximum Voltage. But shouldn't there be current rating as well? How many Amps of current can it handle continuously <without getting overheated>?
Of course, DC currents can't continuously flow in or Out of capacitor, so I am talking about AC current.

Capacitors have 'ripple current' ratings, which is all that's needed for their intended use.

Since I can't find them, Could you please estimate what could be 'ripple current' rating for a typical 400v 100uf electrolytic and ceramic capacitor.
But, before that, can you please elaborate on what exactly 'ripple current' rating signify?
Thanks.

The ripple current rating is to do with an electrolytic used after the rectifier in a power supply.

Have a google for "ripple current rating"

What are you trying to do?.

I used one electrolytic capacitor 400V 100uf as a snubber capacitor in my switching application. Its getting too hot. When I measured current through it, it was around 2-amps.
I googled around, and 'ripple current' rating is more or less, the current rating of the capacitor.
Also, ESR is of point of interest.
Since, electrolytics have high ESR (hence low 'ripple current rating') I shouldn't be using them for snubberes. Where can I find detailed datasheet for capacitors ( mine doesn't even have part no.)?
I never thought capacitors and resistors could have datasheet.
So I am in search of ESR tables (or 'ripple current' tables) for various types of capacitors, so that I could choose the right one.

Hi,

To find the ESR you should look at the manufacturers data sheet. If you cant find one or dont know what part number the cap is, you would have to measure the ESR with an ESR meter or else use a function generator and a scope. There are various ways to do this.
The ESR rating is really a number that pertains to how well the cap functions in a filter type application. The lower the better in most cases, except in some switching regulators which depend on having some minimum value ESR to remain stable with various loads.

Really the ripple current rating has to be found on the data sheet. If you want to chance it, see what current makes it hotter or warm and go from there. Half that to be safe.

Sometimes caps are used in parallel with the hope that they share the current well enough so each one gets less of the ripple current. The ESR's should be the same in this case.

Last edited:
Most snubbers have a bit of series resistance that limits the current. Maybe more info on your circuit is in order.

WOW! 400V 100uF snubber cap. I do power but haven't gotten up past 400V 4.7uF yet.

Use four of those caps in a 2x2 parallel-series arrangement.

You haven't mentioned the degree of reliability you desire.

We essentially get double the rated life with double the rated ripple current with some manufacturers (two) but not others.

Most are double one or the other but not both and the rated life under such conditions isn't anything to get excited about.

Last edited:
is your (almost certainly polarized) cap passing current in the reverse direction? if so this can generate heat internally inside the cap, much more than when the cap is biased properly with DC on it. think of a polarized electrolytic cap in terms of one of it's "ancestors", the electrolytic rectifier. (from Wikipedia:Rectifier section 8.2)

you didn't post a schematic, so we're just guessing...

circuit detail

Here is the circuit scheme

I have previously discussed it here, for similar reason.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/general-electronics-chat/128320-voltage-spike-problem.html

I am not sure if its appropriate location to place the capacitor. I thought that instead of placing the RC snubber accross the IGBT/FET like the standard method, if I place it as shown above, I could eliminate need of R.
Please not that unlike conventional system where we need to eliminate parasitic inductances, in this case I have an inductive source.

how much current is the generator generating?

can you measure the inductance of the motor winding?

and what is the resistance of the motor winding?

what frequency is the IGBT being switched at?

how much current is the generator generating?

can you measure the inductance of the motor winding?

and what is the resistance of the motor winding?

what frequency is the IGBT being switched at?
The generator is rated at 15KW (but since the system is rather old, we will be running it around 10 KW). Its 400V line to line output. There is no motor, The dummy load shown is a heater coil.
I think, the voltage surge is created by the Generator Winding Inductance rather than the Load inductance, because, the load is mostly a resistive heater.
IGBT is being switched at 4.88 Khz.
Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:

1- What is peak voltage?
2- What is load resistance?
3- What is PWM frequency?
4- What is the break down voltage on the IGBT?

Sorry that's 4....

Last edited:
Break Down Voltage of IGBT is 600V and its continuous current rating is 150A. PWM frequency, is 4.88 Khz. System Voltage is 400V rms, line to line, or 230V per Phase. That means, peak Voltage is sqrt(2)*230 = 326 V. Load Resistance is currently 15ohms.
Any more questions?

motor = generator (in reverse). sorry for the confusion.

The energy stored in the winding ½LI² will be converted to energy stored in the capacitor ½CV² minus resistive losses incurred while charging the capacitor. The rectifier diode will limit ringing but the resistance of the winding is probably very low so, in its current configuration, the capacitor surge current charging the capacitor is effectively the same amount of current flowing in the winding. At 40A, the capacitor will charge in about 1 millisecond. When the IGBT switches back on, it will discharge through the load in the same amount of time.

Electrolytic capacitors don't stand up to such treatment very well.

I somehow don't believe the 2A ripple current measurement can be accurate. A power resistor is usually put in series with the snubber capacitor to limit these surge currents and damp oscillations in whatever LC tank is present. Even with one in place, you may need more ripple current capacity than a reasonably sized electrolytic can deliver. I'd try four 100µF 400V caps wired 2x2 to provide the equivalent of an 800V 100µF with double the ripple current capacity if I had them but I still have my doubts.

A smaller setup here involving a motor less than 1/10th that size required a 50W 50Ω wirewound resistor and a 400V 10µF film capacitor to run at a relatively low 140V with a sub-1KHz switching frequency. The sub-1KHz switching made it obnoxiously loud.

I think 100µF of capacitance is probably about right for snubbing but a basic 400V 100µF electrolytic won't cut it. Think hundreds of Watts of resistance and an enormous 800V film capacitor if you're taking that path.

An alternate method used here: charge a 10,000uF 400V of electrolytics with the generator, use the IGBT/heater to discharge it at 4.88KHz, and place a much smaller snubber around the IGBT alone. The snubber will no longer be absorbing the energy stored in the collapsing field of the generator winding, just the much smaller field from the inductance that's present in the heater. With 10,000µF, ½LI² won't add up to much V in ½CV².

Thanks for providing some insights.
You may be right on doubting that 2A figure. I am not sure what loading condition <value of load resistance> was there when I measured that figure. I will be remeasuring them again today.
I will now look for some 50s uf film capacitor (polypropylene or polyester, which is better?) and try with them. As a last resort, I will use several electrolytic in series parallel combination.

Your last suggestion to use large capacitor wont work because, we *need* to draw current from the generator when switching the Load. The aim is to be able to draw different amount of power from each phase of generator by cleverly changing the dutycylce.
A picture of the concept.
**broken link removed**
Separate duty cycle is generated each 6.66ms to draw different amount of power from each phase.
For eg. when it is desired to draw power from Y-phase alone, it should work something like this

All those questions and I still missed a couple:

Probably the hardest -- and that is the inductance of the generator.
And the winding resistance.

Extra credit!

What is the ripple rating on your caps?

Do you have any 250 - 300 watt loads laying around?

Looking at your second picture it looks like there is already some capacitance from each phase to ground?

Inductance: Don't know.
Resistance: I can measure. But probably on the orders of miliohms
Ripple Ratings: Don Know.
I need to go in the route of testing and experimenting, since I don't have detailed information on the parts I am using.

There is a single capacitor as shown in figure in post #10

P.S. I have plenty of loads.

Last edited:
Maybe what you could do is put another 15 ohm load in series with the caps. Then you can just parallel up some caps untill the ripple current is okay.

Snap in or screw terminal caps?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…