Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Continuous Current Rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, R is usually chosen to be around 2 times √(L/C) for nearly critical damping. That's why a decent estimate of the winding inductance is needed. Without it one is shooting from the hip but I think paralleling two 300W 10Ω resistors would be in the ballpark.

With the resistors dissipating a good chunk of the first cycle's worth of ½LI² energy, the cap won't heat up quite so much.

Once upon a time, I worked through the gory details for the 50Ω / 10µF arrangement mentioned above. Nowadays, I'll just plug the values into LTSpice to verify the estimated power and voltage requirements but one still has to follow up with a scope.

10-20% errors here and there are no big deal. My LCR meter here at work has a 100mA test current option and the resulting estimates seem to be pretty close. My personal LCR meter at home uses such a small test current that inductance measurements on big motors (and large iron core inductors for loudspeaker crossovers) always come up low.

I replaced the electrolytic capacitor with a giant 45uf 400V AC capacitor.
45uf seems enough to contain the surge. Today I tested the system and 8.5A of RMS current was flowing through it. It wasn't even warm.
Here is a pic of the capacitor. It is the large 'white' cylinder.

But I am not sure such capacitor is suitable in long term for my purpose, although it *do* seems nice at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back