Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh... i only tried to unsolder the capacitor after whatever it was fried... the circuit was already dead, thats why i didnt care lol... and also, i edited my comment above your last one, so if you could plz read it, i still have a question about putting batteries in a series.

i am making up a diagram for the wiring now, i'll post it in a couple of minutes

here is how to wire up the 9 volt batteries, with this setup, you will get 36 volts out, but at the current one battery can supply. you can do this with other batteries too, but don't connect up too many, as the batteries cannot take much stress. Heres my crappy drawing using microsoft word:D battseries.PNG

i saw a video on youtube, where someguy wired up 100 or so 9v batteries, and got some pretty big arcs, but after about 3 seconds of arcing, a battery exploded!!! i am pretty sure if you hooked up 100 9v batteries, it would be lethal

dude thats sick lol...but instead of putting wires from one another couldnt you just attach them together going positive to negative like stick them together? so it would be kinda like they were stacked on one another 2 high and 2 across? i know this is a confusing explanation but it seems like it would work. and thx a lot for the drawing.

yeah, you can just clip them together, that's what the guy on youtube did. i just couldn't draw them like that on word though:D

Thats tight, thx a lot for the explanation, i guess i just need to wait and get another disposable camera. and to bad that there is no way to put pictures in your signature. And also, do you know of any good devices to get decent transformers from? I like the idea of making a fun stun gun out of a disposable camera but i still think 9 volts and transformers are the best way to go as far as shock boxes are concerned... until i learn how to make my own circuits which i cant see happening very soon.

oh, i must have posted the same time as you. do you discharge the capacitor into the transformer, and get a higher voltage out?

I dont use capacitors usually when i make my shock box i just tried it that once to see if it would work since i dont have a very good transformer. My shock box is so easy to set up. I have any type of automatic spring switch and i hook up one side to the negative side of the battery and then i hook up the other side to the negative side of the transformer, then i i take the positive connection of the battery and hook that up to the positive connection of the transformer, then i just grab both the other wires of the transformer between my fingers when i test it and i push the switch or button and it shocks me... my friends is pretty good and it only uses one 9volt and the perfect transformer. I just need to get a good transformer.

i would think that a transformer with a lower output voltage is better than a transformer with a higher voltage output. maybe you could ask your friend what transformer his is?

Hmmm... im not sure, i can test that theory though, i have two... tho im not sure which is lower lol, why would lower be better? and also, i would ask my friend but he made a really cool little custom box and like super glued the bottom of the transformer to the box lol and i dont want him to ruin it just so i can see the transformer, i can just find one on my own it will just take longer. and also im pretty sure his as a higher voltage cuz his was from a printer, like the printer cord the ac adapter thing, and his has more amprage to i think.

i am thinking about the turns ratio. basically, you want lots more turns of wire on the primary side of the transformer than the secondary. i have only tried 2 different types of transformers, so i don't really know which kind is best. if you want a bit more power, maybe you could connect a capacitor across the transformers high voltage output, if you haven't done that already.

YAY!!! my 301th post!!!!

Ok by turns... do you actually mean like wire twists around the transformers wire cuz if you do i didnt even know that made a difference lol, and i dont understand what you mean by placing a capacitor on the high voltage output... im assuming you mean placing it on the wires after the voltage has come through the transformer but wouldnt that just store it? then i would have to release... so if that were the case i would pretty much just be using the battery and transformer to charge the capacitor then releasing the capacitor. but like i said im not sure what you mean.

the amount of turns on the primary side of the transformer determines the output voltage (in this case). by turns i mean the amount of turns of wire around the transformers core. that's right, if you hook a capacitor up to the high voltage output, it will store the charge, and since you said you want a shock box, when you press the switch, the current will flow through the transformer, and come out at a higher voltage, then you can store it in the capacitor, then you don't have to press the button everytime you want it to shock, just touch the capacitors leads, the more presses of the button, the higher the voltage in the capacitor will have (to a point) and you can change the "shock power"

hmmm... thats a sick idea but i build my shock box a bit differently... instead of having it go off when you put two pieces of metal together i just have it straight go off when i push the button so... its like here grab the bars then i hit the switch then its like "wow wtf" you know? but i can make it work... i can have a button that i push to charge it so i can control how strong it is then i can have one to release it.

I also have a question... and im doing it in another post incase u post before i can edit lol... the capacitor that comes with the disposable camera can go up to 330v and its at 80uf... well when i charge it with a 9v and then touch metal with it there is no spark... well sometimes a small one... then i have another capacitor that is only 25v but it has 3300uf and when i charge that with a 9v its a lot bigger than the 330v capacitor so im assuming that uf which i believe are farads or something like have a lot with capacitors but to tell you the truth im not sure what... could you explain?

Also, which would be better to do a shock box with? the way we were talking about...

yes, camera capacitors are designed for a high voltage, but a lower capacitance, whereas your other capacitor is designed for a lower voltage, but higher capacitance. the camera capacitor is made to hold 330 max, but at 80uf, the 25 volt capacitor can hold 3300uf, so basically you get a bigger spark because the 25 volt capacitor has a higher capacitance and can hold more current from the 9 volt battery, and discharge it all when you short it. just make sure you don't put over 25 volts into the 25 volt capacitor and 330 volts into the 330 volt capacitor, if you do, it's most likely BOOM:D

in other words im gonna have some booms lol... i dont have anything to test voltage output so i dont know how much im gonna put into it lol. Hey dude it has been great talking to you but im a retard for staying up this late, i live in the US. Thx a lot for your help and i will talk you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back