Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cascading AN6877 led driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

adown

cascading AN6877 led driver(sound level light bar)

Has anybody cascaded or know how to cascade an AN6877 to use as a led bar graph driver. I need 12 segment. Since the LM3914 isn't big enough I figured I'd cascade the AN6877 instead because of it's smaller size. The bar graph will be driven by car audio low level outputs for a sound level light bar with 3-5 leds on each segment. Thanks

Last edited:
The datasheet is a bit confusing, but from what I gather, pins 7,8 are connected to the resistor chain. On the chip responsible for the upper range, call it U1, connect U1.pin 7 to U1.pin 6(which is the internally generated 3.75V reference source). Then for the chip responsible for the lower range, U2, connect U1.pin 8 to U2.pin7, and U2.pin8 to ground.

This approach won't work for the logarithmic version(AA6878) of the chip - you'll need to add an extra resistor paralleling the lower range chip. The reason I bring up the log is that typically log indicators are used for audio indicators.

hjames said:
This approach won't work for the logarithmic version(AA6878) of the chip - you'll need to add an extra resistor paralleling the lower range chip. The reason I bring up the log is that typically log indicators are used for audio indicators.

Yes, it's really essential to use a logarithmic version!.

You probably won't need to cascade ICs to drive 12 LEDs if you use the LM3915 logarithmic 10-LED bar-graph driver because its range is 30dB which is 31.6 times the voltage and 1000 times the power. The linear LM3914 has a range of only 20dB which is only 10 times the voltage and 100 times the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back