Cat5 UTP cable current handling capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepalien

Just wondering what are some characteristics of Cat5 cable are? Specifically I want to know how much current it can handle. I have used a pair to light 10 watts CFL bulb from 12 VDC using a inverter. Looks like it can easily handle 1 Amp.

Any ideas?

Cat 5 is generally 24 AWG (US Spec) and in stranded or solid conductor should be able to handle 3 to 3.5 amps in chassis type open wiring. That would be my guess anyway.

Ron

Last edited:
Generally transferring "low" power through thinner wire doesn't bring up heating issues as much as voltage loss. 24AWG has a DC resistance of about 25 ohms per thousand feet.

A 10-foot long pair of 24AWG with a 12V input and a "10W" (833mA) load will deliver about 11.6 volts.

Of course you can improve this significantly by putting using all 4 pairs.

That's nice to know. I have few spare lengths of CAT5 cable I can use for DC cabling. Since the power source is 12V automotive battery, using CAT5 cable would diminish the voltage of 13.8 V (at full charge) to safe 12 V range. I plan to use mostly CFL and LED lights.

mneary's suggestion of combining pairs is a good idea as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…