CC/CV power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I have a DC power supply from an old laptop, a switch mode type, has a standard pin/socket type DC output connector. The strange part is the output as listed on the supply itself.

Instead of the normal V/C rating for a DC power supply it has listed.
Mode1(VC) 17 (DC) 1.3A
Mode2(CC) 6.5-14 DC 1.7A

These listings are obvious, it has a constant voltage and current mode. But only a standard DC output connector, so I'm assuming it has some internal circuitry that determine what 'mode' it's in. Anyone know how this thing works?

Model: LP486-ADA
Product ID: is 3140-K909-V003
Part Number: 515-0004958

I think:

-can maintain 17VDC up to 1.3A, beyond that no guarantees
-current limiting kicks in at 1.7A and adjusts the voltage between 6.5-14V to do so
-for loads that would require less than 6.5V to maintain 1.7A, the supply just turns off

I would agree with dknguyen, it is probably constant voltage until you exceed current capacity, then it drops the voltage output beyond max Iout. Like a bench supply with current limiting.

Last edited:
I have some power resistors floating around, I'll have to try it see how well it actually regulates current, then I might take your idea up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…