Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD 4051 (MUX / DEMUX) circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download and install Swordfish BASIC SE. I have a one page tutorial in my blueroomelectronics Junebug manual (google it). Swordfish is an excellent modular & modern BASIC compiler.

You need a PICKit2 or 3.

You could make the PIC itself the battery backed up RTCC, Timer1 supports a 32,768kHz watch crystal and this can wake the PIC on overflow from very low power sleep to update the clock. The 18F4620 has a built in low power detector that could switch off a display when power is lost. The simple resistor / diodes / supercap schematic posted earlier should do the trick. Then it's all about learning the software.

The simplest possible LED clock would be 1H:MM where the 1 is either off or 1
Pincount for the display
1 - 1
7 - H
1 - seperator (flashing dots, optional)
7 - M
7 - M
so 23 pins for the display
2 - switches for setting the time
2 - 32768kHz crystal + 22pF caps
3 - In circuit programming ie PICkit (optional)

total 30 I/O pins.
You'll need 470 ohm resistors for each display segment and some filter + decoupling caps.

Last edited:
I've never used basic on pics, the 16f628 is a popular chip, the 16f88 is also a good choice for one with a/d.
You might be better off with something a little more powerfull for running basic like blooroom suggested.
Pickit 3's in this country are only around 30 quid and are not difficult to use.

Hi, I have ordered a PicKit2 starter set from Microchip. I shall be experimenting a bit before I start on a clock. Whilst there are ready made ccts and programs to make a clock and of course there are only so many ways to make a clock . I really would love to "invent" my own. Or at least put my own "stamp" on the cct.
Thanks for all your help. I am sure I'll be back with questions about the pics.

A simple single led flasher is a good project to start with, on say a pic16f628, if you can do that you can understand the nut and bolts.
There is a section of code in the datasheet for the '628 that shows how to perform a real time clock in software with a 32kc xtal in conjuntion with timer1, I've used it a few times and its accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back