CD-RW assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

acenrs12379

Hi all,

I'm new as a member here, but I've frequently browsed these forums for electronics help. Thank you all, there is a lot of very useful information here!

On to my question... Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain a raw CD-RW engine/assembly that can be interfaced to a microcontroller, DSP, etc. without resorting to purchasing a CD-RW drive at a computer store? I am building a project that requires me to utilize DAE to extract audio digitally as well as burn audio onto standard CD-R or CD-RW discs. Because the CD assembly will become part of a larger system the likes of a boombox and I don't want a 5.25" half-height bay on it just for the CD functions. I've searched everywhere and can only find modules that simply read audio CDs. Any suggestions/ideas/better alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would think that this would be kind of hard. But maybe you can use a CD-RW drive for a laptop. Those will be considerably smaller. :wink:

Rain

and then just get a screwdriver and a hacksaw and start 'aving bits off it.

I wonder if you can get drives to burn onto those really small cd's (sorta gamecube disk size). If the drive was designed for them, it would be smaller, I'm guessing...

If you need it to be small, is it not worth considering using a different medium other than cds? CDs are quite large themselves...

**broken link removed**

This store somtimes has raw cd laser assemblies...not sure if they have an cdrw's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…