Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cheap converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenalbh

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a cheap way to convert a 230VAC to 6VDC. What I have in mind is to use a transformer and a bridge rectifier to do the job. Is there a cheaper and reliable alternative?

Thanks.

shenalbh said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a cheap way to convert a 230VAC to 6VDC. What I have in mind is to use a transformer and a bridge rectifier to do the job. Is there a cheaper and reliable alternative?

Thanks.
That's about as reliable and cheap as it gets especially for currents of any real amount. I think you're the first person on the forum to ask this version of the question. Usually it's somebody who is trying an overly elaborate and complicated method and is dead-set against using a transformer for whatever reason and refuses to believe otherwise.

You need a large (I mean, large) capacitor at the output of the diode rectifier and probably a linear regulator after that depending on your requirements. I believe that that the capacitor smoothed output (and DC component of the diode rectifier output) of the rectifier is a about 0.9 times of the peak voltage of the transformer's secondary winding.

Last edited:
the cheapest one in the voltage range for around 600mA load would be a cellphone charger and in India these are sold at $1/- approx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back