Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cheap home depot doorbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

5thcorps

Purchased a cheap home depot wireless doorbell for use at my home. $12.95
For that much money you certainly don't get much. When rung it is only audible barely in the room that the receiver is mounted in, much less any other room. Thought I would add a simple amplifier circuit inline right before the little speaker, and have the amp powered by a 9-volt battery. Any ideas on a simple design?

Any generic audio amplifier schematic will work.

My expensive American metal "ding-dong" doorbell was about 30 years old and not loud enough.
I replaced it with a cheap Chinese plastic one from Home Depot and it is much louder because it has tuned acoustical resonant chambers.

5thcorps... Virtually any basic audio amplifier will work. The signal coming out of your doorbell is probably so low that it will satisfy line level input requirements, possibly with the voltage limited via a POT as it's intended to feed a speaker. Feed back is not a concern. I wouldn't even worry about a schematic just use an off the shelf audio amplifier.

In all honesty the proper sollution is to simply buy a better unit! The wired doorbell in my place can be heard anywhere in the house, and it's 20+ years old. Audioguru's unit is either defective, wired improperly, or he has a larger house than is typical for the unit.

Wireless doorbells are over rated, simply wiring one will save you years of hassles with batteries or reception glitches. Basic knowledge of home construction makes wiring things like this nothing more than a few hours worth of effort.

Last edited:
There are at least 120 audio power amplifier ICs available last time I looked.
National Semi, Texas Instruments, Philips and ST Micro make many of them.

We don't know how much power you need and we don't know how you will power the amplifier.

planning on just a single 9 volt battery

Plan on having a large stock of batteries. :)

I bought a more expensive version from Lowes about ten years ago. Uses either 2 or 4 D cells. I have it programmed to play The Marine Corps Hymn and the thing has worked great for a decade. Every few years new batteries for receiver and transmitter. The transmitter uses a tiny button cell. For added volume every time it sounds the dogs trigger on it and start barking. This works well for solicitors and or Jehovah's Witness visitors.

Seriously, just invest a few bucks more in a better louder system.

Just My Take....
Ron

I was rude to Jehovah's Witnesses recruiters so my home is on their "do not visit" list.
Isn't there a law against those weirdos bothering everybody?

The ones in our area fear dogs for some reason. While I actually have to give them credit, it's like, not interested and just go away. The township I live in has laws about soliciting door to door. Beats the hell outta me? We are also on the do not call list and that doesn't always work out well either. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back