Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chirp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap electret mics have a very flat frequency response.
Here is one:

Attachments

• Electret microphone.PNG
    Electret microphone.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 125
As a matter of fact that is the one I was looking at. I only wish it had better noise figures, but I guess 62 dB is pretty good for a microphone.

A fairly expensive Shure vocals dynamic (coil and magnet) microphone messes up its frequency response with a peak at mid-high frequencies.
They claim it makes vocals have "presence" (sound closer).

I think today it makes a shriek sound. You know how some singers sound like they have a whistle stuck down their throat?
Maybe it was designed a long time ago to help an AM radio announcer or singer sound clearer.

I think it's just the nature of dynamic mics.

At the time I was looking through a catalogue for small dynamic mics as used in cheap applicances, cellphones, headsets etc and there hundreds of mics all with little charts, and none of the charts looked good. ;)

A dynamic mic is like a little speaker. It has a magnet that has a moving coil around it to generate a signal. The coil is fairly heavy so it needs a fairly strong and heavy diaphragm to move it with sounds so its resonance is at a few thousand Hz which causes a peak in the response.

But an electret mic has a very thin and lightweight conductive film as its diaphragm so its upper frequency response is extended and is flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back