Circuit fuse for lipo alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtheboxer

So, i ordered some maxim sample chips for my lipo alarm and put together a strobe light set for my helicopter using a pic 12f629. I dont have a schematic just yet to post, im heading out the door now anyway, but ill post one soon if needed.

I plan to run the lights off the extra receiver channel on my heli. It puts out a 5v current and works just fine. My only concern is that if something were to short, for whatever reason, it could fry the reciever. Ive fried my mixing board once and it happens fairly easily!

I dont really see this happening but......

How can i protect the receiver from shorts, wherever it may occur, in the circuit. Would a diode inline from the receiver work? I dont want a full on fuse, as it will negate the small design (its about the size of a nickel). Or possibly a resistor of some sort....or better yet, an actual "micro" fuse...

Thanks

A simple series resistor is all that's needed, it's only a low level signal output, you can't draw any amount of power off of it.

Is the circuit controlled by this line from the receiver, or powered by it, or both?

If it's just controlled by it, Nigel's resistor is a great suggestion ... 1k or higher will limit the current to a "do no damage" amount

If it is powered by the receiver, you could use something called a "PTC" or picofuse. they're thermally activated fuses that clamp down on current when too much flows. they're also self resetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…