Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuit to use Mosfets as an AC switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe tiger

AC input; 120/240 VAC
Load: solenoid valde 50ma.
I need a simple circuit that I can use to turn the solenoid on and off from a micro.
Any ideas. I want to use mosfets because I think it requires the lowest drive power.
Thanks
Joe

a opto isolator triac is all you need. Its a 6 pin device that only costs a few 10's of cents and will easily do what you need to do.

Yes but,
I do not have the current to drive the opto. I do not need isolation. I am referenced to the AC Neutral. I can tap about 1 ma from the line using a resistor and a shunt zener diode to get the 1 ma to power whatever circuit i use to drive the switch.
is there a way to drive triac with less than 0.5 ma of drive current from my uprocessor vcc?
It is why I was looking for Mosfet. they do not require much current to drive them.

MOSFETs are DC switches, not AC. You would be much better off with a triac or solid state relay.

If you need more current, use another transistor to help drive it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reponces,
Solid state relays require few ma of drive. Triac even more. I am sure there is a way to build a circuit with couple mosfets for AC load, one for each polarity. They do it integrated in the Solid state relay, so there must be a configuration to do it in descrete and not use an led to trip the mosfets.
Thanks
joe

The simplest way to get the added power is to change out the main voltage dropping resistor with a capacitor and zener diode of the right values and have a capacitive coupled power source. You will gain efficiency despite being able to draw more power at the same time.

There are a loads of threads here related to AC line voltage LED circuits and other low power line connected devices as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back