Cold Cathode "dual" inverter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinofx

I have a kit which powers 2, 4" cold-cathode tubes. I'm guessing the bulbs are wired in parallel with each other, allowing a single inverter could power both. Does anyone know if the tubes must be driven separately? Sounds unlikely for a $5 kit

What are the chances that the inverter could:
a) power *three* 4" tubes (can it supply that much current?)
b) power one 4" and one 6" tube? (does the 6" require 50% higher voltage?)

I don't really have room in my PC for 2 inverter boxes. Thanks.

I don't know what a cold cathode tube is, but if it is like a flourescent tube, they have to be driven seperatly or in series. An inverter designed for 2 tubes is not likely to drive 3 or 4, but what the h- what have you got to loose by trying?

a) how should we know? But the CCFL inverters capable of driving 2 tubes that I know of put a separate ballast cap in series with each tube. There won't be a third cap.
b) probably not. It's hard to say though. I suspect it won't work or won't work well due to the voltage issue.

Based on what you all are saying, it sounds like the issue is "igniting" the mercury vapor. I guess it takes a much higher voltage to ignite the tube, which is why they have to be driven separately or in series (forces them to ignite together?).

This looks like a DIY kit for a single tube.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…