Comparator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kucster

I designed a simple circuit in multisim, all it does is have 4 lights stay solid and 3 lights flash, and when there respective switch is turned off the light turns off. I did the flashing by using a 555 timer to get a pulse and a comparator to clean it up. I used a virtual comparator in Multisim and I purchased a LM339N from radio shack, but it doesn't work. I tried it in Multisim and it doesn't work in there either. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean

Attachments

• FLights.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 463
You have the non-inverting input to the comparator tied to the positive rail. Put it on a voltage divider: two equal-value resistors (say 10K) in series from +12V to ground, use the tap in the middle to go to the comparator.

Last edited:
I tried as you suggested and it still doesn't work. I'm including an updated schematic to see if I'm doing something wrong. Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• FLights U.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 244
Oh, sorry - you have TWO problems.

The second one is that the LM339 is open-collector. That chip can't drive "high". Connect the tops of those LED's to +12V. Connect the bottom of S3,5,7 to the output, pin 2.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. I've tried what you suggested and the light seems to just stay solid not blink, please see attached schematic. Am I using the wrong comparator? is there a better one I could use? I'm only trying to make the 3 leds flash, is there a better way of doing this?
Thanks

Attachments

• FLights U2.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 348
That should work...

...but the blink rate is several hundred Hz. Did you check it on a scope? Increase C1 to about 100µf to slow it down enough to watch it blink.

I think you should look at the datasheet of the wimpy LM339 quad or the LM393 dual low power comparator IC. Its output current is a minimum of only 6mA.
But your LEDs have a current of 40mA for each string which is a total of 280mA so no wonder the circuit does not work.

You need an output transistor to drive all those LEDs.

Ouch. Thank you, Mr. Duck.

He's right, kucster - that thing isn't rated for enough collector current to drive a crummy LED.

Last edited:
comparator and 7 segment disp.

HeLLo. does any1 knows how the comparator will work with the two 7 segment disp?..
The goal here is to establish a comparison between the two segments.. A LED will lit up either >, <, or =.. e.g. 1 and 2 are displayed, then automatically a < led will lit up.. HELP HELP HELP! any1 will be appr8d..

I think you need to

A calm down
B start a new thread
C write in plain english

You should try exploring the user interface a little before you ask questions... You simply enter the sub forum you want to post in and there's a large button in the upper left hand corner that says "New Thread" Click it, and provide details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…