Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparator shmitt trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikalogic

Hello.

I have build and tested the circuit attached below.

It's a comparator, with a gain of 5:
Vout = (Va - Vb)*5

Its important to keep the gain low because i need high bandwidth.

The question is, how do i add some hysteresis?

For example, i need Vb (the voltage to which Va is compared) to be dynamic...

I've seen many circuits (like here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger ), but they are just comparators, and i cannot control the gain.. any clues?

Thanks!

EDIT: I am sure that the solution will be to use an inverting shmitt trigger (as decribed in wikipedia) but with some feedback on the -ve pin. Am i in the right direction?

Last edited:
Thanks John for that app note.

However, all the circuits i found (unless i am mistaken) do not allow to control the gain... i need to limit the gain to 5 maximum.. any idea?

:)

"Low gain Schmitt trigger": That's an oxymoron. Schmitt triggers have infinite gain at the trigger point.
I think this is one of those cases where you REALLY need to tell us what you are trying to do. Give us the big picture.

If you want high bandwidth (fast comparator response) then use a comparator IC not an op amp. Comparators have high open loop gain and there is no gain-bandwidth limitation.

A comparator does not have a frequency compensation capacitor (it reduces the high frequency gain of an opamp so it does not oscillate when negative feedback is applied). Then a comparator switches its output much faster than an opamp.
Because a comparator does not have a frequency compensation capacitor then it must NEVER have negative feedback like yours has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back