computer controlled switches for phone lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooeyhall

I was wondering if there is something out there that can provide computer control of some double-throw switches that control our incoming phone lines.

Let me explain: We have 4 analog phone lines coming into our office. During the day, they bring calls into and out of our company PBX system. Our company provides electric motor repair services. I am the IT person for the company and generally familiar with electrical devices/electronics.

We recently installed a computer to handle our after-hours technician calls. The computer is running a program that takes incoming calls, gives the caller an option of choosing a location, then puts the caller on hold while dialing whichever technician is responsible for the location and connects him to the caller.

Our phone installer installed 4 simple toggle switches on each of the incoming phone lines. When the switches are in the up postion, calls go to our PBX system. When they are down, calls go to the after-hours calls computer.

At 5:00 PM every day, someone has to manually flip the 4 switches down. In the morning at 8:00 AM, someone has to flip them up again so that incoming calls once again go to our PBX.

Having this "manual" element in the system is a real pain. Someone has to be designated to do this task, and there is always a worry that it may be forgotten some time. And also someone has to be present to do it.

I was wondering if there exists something out there--somewhere--that could automate this process for us. Something that is computer-controlled would be nice--just set it to switch the switches at the appointed times. If it had the ability to have someone call in and do it that way would be a great additional option. Or being able to do it from an internet connection.

There is, however, one very important consideration with any system we might implement. When the switches are manually switched at the close of the business day, I have to make sure that no one is currently using that line or I would interrupt their call. So sometimes I have to wait before flipping one of the switches until a call is completed.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion....it is truly appreciated!

Also look here. I assume your company can spring for a few bucks
**broken link removed**

thanks for the help

Thanks for the advice. I am researching possibilities at the moment and any advice is MUCH appreciated!

That part is somewhat tricky. You would have to monitor the voltage on each line so see if any line is off-hook (about 10V off-hook versus 48V on-hook). The monitors need to be isolated since the phone lines are floating and can not be tied to a common ground. Optical isolators would work for this. The outputs would have to inhibit the switch-over of a line until it is at 48V.

That is one caveat I failed to notice the first time I read your post. Gee, that is a tough one. Is your PBX interfaced to a PC or such? Does it provide status messages for output to a PC via USB or other? If it does, then perhaps you can use the messaging feature in conjunction with the USB relay I/O board, where SW controls relay switching based on time schedule but will delay switchover while phone is still in use which you would know based on PBX status messaging. The programmable timer solution involves the least amount of design work which I am sure your boss would like, but that last issue does make things a little more tricky. Hehe, maybe a memo, Phones will be switched at such time. Please complete calls prior

How about changing out the toggle switches for relays that are activated by/connected to the room lights.When the office lights are on, the relay contacts are in the normal position, when everyone is gone and the lights are shut off, the contacts go to the night mode. The connections would be as simple as paralleling a light with the relay coil, of course a overide would/could be installed for emergencies (light maintainence).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…