Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting an op-amp input without power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I distinctly recall hearing that an op-amp's input should not have a voltage on it if the op-amp is not powered- many, many years ago. IIRC, they said it would damage it.

I have a situation where I may need to power down an op-amp, and the output must go to 0v. However, one input I cannot switch off.

The circuit is a simple differential shunt regulator. When Vin>Vref, it turns on an output transistor. That is all it does, really.

Why would the input be a problem? Is there a protection diode that shunts the pin to the Vdd rail, thus powering the amp from the input itself?

Often there are input protection diodes to the plus and minus power pins. You should be able to protect the input by adding a series resistor at each input. The Absolute Maximum ratings in the op amp data sheet should tell you what the maximum allowed input current is. Use a resistor large enough to keep the current below that value.

Put a resistor in series with the input. There is usually a parasitic diode inside the opamp (anode to input, cathode to V+). If you connect a stiff voltage source to the input, the v+ rail gets powered backwards through that parasitic diode. This will power other things tied to the V+ line, too. It can fuse the input, or latch-up the opamp, too. Putting a ~10K to 100k resistor between the source and the input pin will usually prevent any problems.

Battery power, and sensitivity to offset error due to high input resistance, and more important the output may not be predictable with the op-amp having a small voltage on Vdd coming through the input through a resistor.
Ain't gonna happen. Not a biggie, I'll reevaluate the problem.
If something won't work, do something else!

In general, it is “BAD” to allow either input to exceed the potential of either rail, as what were (ideally) infinite impedance inputs will now start to draw current… as much as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back