Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control voltage and current

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomble said:
Now, the question to everybody else: Note that this thread is specifically about using a battery charger as a makeshift power supply, which is kinda unusual. And I know that some sorts of battery charger charge with a constant current instead of constant voltage. Has anybody else here considered, or can you easily tell from the details even, which type this particular one would be?

Perhaps any circuit designed to limit current from a 9V 700mA voltage source will automatically push a 9V 700mA current source out of compliance such that it will give the exact same result, I suspect so but not too sure; I'm also not sure if that might damage a current source (I suspect not)? Any other potential pitfalls he might encounter if it's a current source? Hero999 seemed concerned about the idea, but maybe that was on the assumption it'd be also used to charge batteries.
That's exactly what I was getting at.

Generally using a battery charger as a power supply is a bad idea, unless it's a simple constant voltage device which are used for lead acid batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back