Convert an NTSC in-car TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcncy

I have an NTSC TV in my car. It was built for use in Japan. It serves as a Television screen and works together with the Navigation System of the car.
Are there any ideas how to make it to receive PAL B/G programs?
Thanks

mcncy said:
I have an NTSC TV in my car. It was built for use in Japan. It serves as a Television screen and works together with the Navigation System of the car.
Are there any ideas how to make it to receive PAL B/G programs?
Thanks

There are a number of problems, it isn't just NTSC and PAL, most NTSC sets are 525 line 60 Hz frame, and most PAL sets are 625 line 50 Hz frame. So as well as doing something with the colour, you have to chnage the line and frame frequencies as well - I'm not sure what sound system NTSC sets use, but assuming it's intercarrier based, it shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest problem would be the colour, it's fairly likely that the set is an obscure far Eastern one?, and a manual probably isn't available?.

Depending how it's actually constructed you may find that the decoder chip (or chips) used actually do PAL as well as NTSC - but this is less likely for an obscure set. If it was the case, you may even find the board is designed to do both, and you could add the missing components - but this isn't very likely either

The most likely case is that the set is designed for NTSC only, and you would need to design, build, and install a complete PAL decoder - not a trivial task.

But your first task should be to find a service manual for the set!.

Thanks Nigel and tansis.

The set was made by Matsushita Electric. I have sent an e-mail to the factory and hope to get a reply with regards to the wiring diagram. This TV screen is connected to the car's Navigation system, the car's on board computer and also the car's car audio system. Depending on which mode you select, the screen displays the appropriate information. I can use an oscilloscope, shall I check which is the input pin for the video signal ? I don't know yet if the screen accepts RGB or composite signal. I have seen that many web sites sell 12 Volt TV tuners that can be combined with PAL to NTSC converters. Do these converters take care of the lines and frequency problem ?
Rgds

mcncy said:
I have seen that many web sites sell 12 Volt TV tuners that can be combined with PAL to NTSC converters. Do these converters take care of the lines and frequency problem ?

Generally only expensive ones - they need to digitise the signal, store it in memory, and read it out at a different rate. It's also got to 'lose' 5 pictures every second, to give the 25 pictures per second instead of the 30 pictures per second used. As well as that it's got to 'invent' 100 extra lines of information, to extrapolate 625 lines from 525 lines.

All of this is available in a set of chips, and require software control, they are used in true multi-standard VCR's for conversion between standards.

At least as your monitor has a reputable manufacturer (Matsushita is the parent company of Panasonic and Technics) you may have some hope of getting details from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…