Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting 210 AC to 20,000 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

f20062e

Hi,
Im trieng to find a way to change 210AC to 20,000DC. I was just going to use a tessilcoil to get the higher voltage but i will need the 20000 at a high amp like around 20 to 30 just incase i want to hook something to it. im wanting to do this without frieng any coil that i may make.

Any thoughts on how i can do this??

f20062e said:
Hi,
Im trieng to find a way to change 210AC to 20,000DC. I was just going to use a tessilcoil to get the higher voltage but i will need the 20000 at a high amp like around 20 to 30 just incase i want to hook something to it. im wanting to do this without frieng any coil that i may make.

Any thoughts on how i can do this??

Not really - you can't get 20,000V at 20A from a domestic supply, just do the maths!. 20,000V x 20A = 400,000W - far greater than a domestic supply can provide - it's also almost 2000A at 210V, you would need some thick wires and your own power station!.

If you transform the voltage up, the current available comes down correspondingly - usually at 20,000V you would only have a few milliamps, which is a very good thing as 20,000V at any sort of current would almost certainly be fatal.

This is a better site to ask that question:

https://www.4hv.org/

20 to 30 milliamps would be rather nontrivial to construct. 20 to 30 amps is not even remotely possible.

A Tesla coil cannot be used to get the 20KVDC because no high voltage diodes are available which will rectify a high frequency output like that.

There are common neon sign transformers which will put out 6000 to 15000 V, or more. They run at 60Hz so it can be diode rectified, you can even multiply to output too. You can get a transformer with a 30 mA output. Be aware that the output will kill you outright if you touch it.

Be aware that the output will kill you outright if you touch it.

What? As opposed to just killing you a little bit? :p

As Nigel wrote, you would be looking at about 400kVA - The transformer needed for that would be about the same size as the one in your local electrical distribution substation.

You couldn't pull 2000A from your local substation anyway - I don't know about your area, but in my area, substation fuses are generally rated at 400A. You would need to apply to the local power company, to bring a high voltage feeder to your house. And they would most likely, say "NO". The only people who get a high voltage supply around here, are really BIG places (military bases, water board, large factories etc).

hi,
If you want to get 10 to 20Amp at 20KV, you would need a separate transformer cable from the power station rating more than 400KVA(equivalent to 20KVx20A=400KW or 400KVA), then use the vacuum tube diodes to rectify that ac!

Just tap you local over head lines!

Around here alot of the loal distibution lines are 7200 or 14400. They will easily give you 20 -30 amps! rectify the 14400 and you have 20000 DC right there. Or use the 7200 with a voltage doubler circuit.

Make sure you get a buddy to video the whole design and conection process. Plus the part when the local utility and law enforcement people show up. The court procedings should be recorded too!

What do you need 20KV DC at 20 -30 amps for anyway?

Just having some fun! Besides I didnt restart it!

May be we were just fishing for moderators! :D

Wasn't that around the time NY and Canada went off the power grid? :)

Are you sure he is not from california and is still around?
There still seems to be word of occasional blackouts and brown outs in your state. :p

Maybe he found an actual use for 20 KV DC at 30 amps! :eek:
Hes the one guy that can make HHO in high enough volumes to run his car! :D

Last edited:
Perhaps he gets his free energy free off the grid by tapping the overhead lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back