Cordless phone transmitter / audio sync lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

napalm

Alright, everyone's heard of how to easily add RF control to your device, gut a 5$ remote car. I recently came across another sweet idea, gut a cordless phone with a page handset button. https://www.angelfire.com/80s/sixmhz/rcphone.html

I need some lights to wireless flash with some music. I'm thinking of splitting the stereo signal into two stereo signals. Send one to the speakers and the other I'll convert to mono. Then take the mono signal and use that to drive a transistor in place of the page button (the transistor is the new switch). This should effectively be the same as tapping on the page handset button in tune with the music. Then gut all the crap from the handset and replace the speaker with another transistor which will act as a switch for my lights. The only flaw I see is the response time of the handset and how it reacts. If there is even a one second delay, the lights will be noticeably out of sync. And if the handset speaker is suppose to buzz in three short bursts when you hit the page button (for example) then it won't work. (The lights would flash three times for each beat in the song and be horrible out of sync).

I guess this is a dual thread.

Thread 1
Cordless handset = wireless trigger. Clever idea, yea? Can we make it better? Improve response times?

Thread 2
Make my wireless light idea not suck (I can't use a mic). I think everything I posted will work, its just finding a phone/car/something with a good response time. Now that I mention it, I have some ZipZap toy cars from RadioShack (those were the bomb a few years back) that no longer work. Maybe I'll gut them.

I don't know much about RF Modules.

I came across these:
**broken link removed**

Would something like that make my light system more responsive / easier to build?

The lights need power so they will probably be plugged in. Then use wires instead of radio waves to activate the lights.

My Sound Level Indicator project uses a microphone to pickup music sounds and has a rechargable battery to power its circuit and 20 ultra-bright LEDs.

audioguru said:
The lights need power so they will probably be plugged in. Then use wires instead of radio waves to activate the lights.

Nope batteries, actually the load isn't even lights. I just use lights as an example because I don't need to go into unnecessary details that are unrelated to the project, and people have a better time at visualizing the results when I use the word 'lights' instead of the word 'load'.

The project is to control something with RF pulses. I don't need you to tell me I should just use wires. One time I used an led as the example load in one of my projects. I even said that the led was just an example. All of the responses were about resistor values and where to get the best LEDs.

I don't want to sound mean. I'm relatively new to this forum and don't feel like making enemies, but unless you have something to contribute, don't bother posting.

My Sound Level Indicator project uses a microphone

Like I said before, I can't use a microphone as there will a lot of ambient noise.

---

Alright, lets change the project description. I will be tapping a switch very rapidly and I need that switch to wirelessly turn a load on and off from about 50feet away. Can anyone help me?

Come on guys, I have a little project that involves implementing an RF on/off switch into a case just smaller then a cell phone. Hand turned coils with ferrite beads aren't going to cut it, so I just want a little advice. I KNOW that some of you have done this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…