Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Create battery powered "timestamper" on button push

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjscjs

Hi,

I am looking to create a standalone circuit (battery powered) that can record the time (and date if possible) when a button was pushed. Assuming a button push outputs a 5V DC signal. Then would need to be able to retrieve this data from the circuit.

Any ideas where I could start or are there any existing solutions? A nice AC powered USB DAQ would be nice to use but too expensive and requires AC - but maybe there are some devices you know of that would be similar?

Thanks a mill,
CJS

You can create one using a microcontroller, RTC and a memory (EEPROM or SD card).

You can retrieve the data by connecting it to a PC via serial port, if you use SD card and implement filesystem like FAT, you can connect the SD card to a card reader and retrive stored data.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking to create a standalone circuit (battery powered) that can record the time (and date if possible) when a button was pushed. Assuming a button push outputs a 5V DC signal. Then would need to be able to retrieve this data from the circuit.

Any ideas where I could start or are there any existing solutions? A nice AC powered USB DAQ would be nice to use but too expensive and requires AC - but maybe there are some devices you know of that would be similar?

Thanks a mill,
CJS

Does a PC figure into this? If you just want to have a puch button (normally open) and for each button press record the button press with a date time stamp it can very easily be done if the PC has a RS232 serial port using two pins of the port. The data is dumped into a text file. If you want to do this using a USB port it can be a little more difficult but can be done using a small piece of hardware for data acquisition between the PC and button.

Just a matter of exactly what you want to do and how you want to do it?

Ron

Sounds like a standard data-logger (google for it) would be an off-the-shelf solution.

Hi - thanks for the 3 replies so far - awesome.

Reloadron - It has to be without a PC. I am going to build it into a unit that will house the button - and at some later stage retrieve the data. But I like the idea...

srikanthsamaga - this is nice and concise - I had been thinking microcontroller as a possibility so I'll see about persuing that route.

Alec_t - thanks. This is very interesting too. It might be that a solution off the shelf would be suitable. Have you any preference that you have used in the past? This is what I came across: https://www.microdaq.com/monarch/data_loggers/voltage-current-logger.php
Do you know of any cheaper modules that record voltage & timestamp like this one?

Thanks again all.
Chris

Hi Chris

The problem with using a data logger is getting a date/time stamp in there. When tethered to a PC running a date / time stamp with readings is an easy task. However, when a data logger runs stand alone then it becomes a problem. There are plenty of data loggers out there that will record data to a SD card or other storage media. The problem is they don't know the date and time to include it in the data.

One method would be a stand alone device using a GPS module to get the date / time data but things begin to go from simple to complex. Any other device would need an on board real time clock.

I do have a few data loggers laying around including a few stand alone versions. Let me look into what they can do.

Just My Take............
Ron

Data-loggers with time/date stamping are well-known. See e.g. :-
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...sg=AFQjCNF54GRQBsYOzSzRBzbxXnkS8aU5Xw&cad=rja

Hi Alec, got a link to a make and model that is stand alone, and meets what the OP is looking for?

A nice AC powered USB DAQ would be nice to use but too expensive and requires AC - but maybe there are some devices you know of that would be similar?

I could not find any that are inexpensive (under a few hundred USD) that will include a date/time stamp function.

Ron

Hi All,

Thanks again for the additional replies. I had a look around the web and found 2 such data loggers that might suit:

https://www.dataq.com/products/hardware/el-usb-data-loggers/el-usb-5-data-logger.html#ordernow

and possibly https://www.microdaq.com/monarch/data_loggers/voltage-current-logger.php although this one is getting more expensive.

The EL-USB-5 seems like a nice fit. It has a built in RTC. However, one issue is battery life. I am looking to have a button monitored which might only be pushed < 10 times a day but for a sample rate of 1sec the battery is said to last maximum 9 hours. I was looking to investigate this button push for a few weeks which would be possible at lower sampling rates for that device but they would miss the button push. Many of these seem to be for monitoring temperature (typically a long time constant) and as alarms for going above or below a threshold.

Reloadron - the issue with having a PC is the trailing cables. The button will most likely be on a moving cart and cables would be hazardous and limit the mobility of the cart. One possible solution might be that the button push would broadcast to a nearby PC with this date/timestamp feature which could be plugged in. But because of the location of where the button will be, that would render the PC only having a single function which puts up the price - although I might have an old monitorless laptop lying around that might suit.

Any comments would be appreciated or what your experience has been.

Thanks,
CJS

Think I have a datalogger with sufficient battery life...

Hi All,

Ok, I think there was a mix up in the specifications for the datalogger in terms of battery life.

From here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/08/0900766b80e7c562.pdf

There are more clear specifications in terms of battery life. The datasheet states in the table footer of page1 that the battery life is 1 year for 1 event every 5 minutes, with voltage input mode. This might do the trick. I wouldn't expect any more use than that - if even.

Any thoughts? Is there anything I am missing do you think?

Thanks,
Chris

The first unit you linked to should have an average battery life of about a year. Any of these devices I would have a battery life dependent on use.

Funny is that the first linked to unit is distributed by a company called Dataq which is about a few miles up the road from my location. I use many of their data logging devices. I am guessing when you set the logger up it counts forward from the date and time you enter. Pretty slick and at under $100 USD a pretty reasonable little unit. These units are all the same, if US then I would order from Dataq, if Euro then the second link. They are EL-USB-5 Event, Count, and State Data Logger so whatever is more convenient. It will do what you want it to do. :)

Ron

Nearly (if not) Decided...

Just up the road - strange!

Thanks for the info Ron and your take. Appreciate it. I think this is the unit I will go with. It should give battery life span of a year with moderate use (up to ~105k events assuming one event every 5 mins).

Thanks for all the comments.
Chris

Hi Alec, got a link to a make and model that is stand alone, and meets what the OP is looking for?
Nope. Clearly the OP has Googled as I suggested :D

Nope. Clearly the OP has Googled as I suggested :D

Yeah, and on a global basis, one of the distributors is literally in my back yard and I use their products. Go figure! :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back