Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating (-) voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbisi

Hi guys, i have a project to be done but i should find a way to generate negative voltage from positive voltage. The tricky part is that I'm only allowed to use resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes and op-amps. I have an idea to use zener diodes but actually I don't know how to use. Thanks in advance.

The method is to make an oscillator with an op-amp and rectify the output to make a negative voltage.

Connect the supply pins of the op-amp, one to the positive supply voltage and one the ground voltage (usually called zero volts).

Use a rail-to-rail op amp configured as an astable multi-vibrator connected the plus supply and ground. Couple the square-wave output op amp through a capacitor into two diodes. One diode is connected anode to capacitor and cathode to ground, the other diode connected cathode to capacitor and anode to output. Add a capacitor from the output to ground to filter the resulting negative DC voltage.

The output current of this circuit is limited to about 1/2 of the maximum op amp output current.

Now that you've been handed the entire circuit, you can add zener diodes wherever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back