Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandu13

Hay

I am controlling the gases using the solenoid valves, for interlock purpose I need feed back form the solenoid valve wither it is ON or it is in fail condition.
For feed back purpose I am planning to measure the solenoid current & convert current in to the voltage & give to the LPC2114 ADC input
Please provide the circuit for measurement of current and how to interface to the LPC2114 ADC input.

Regards
chandu

Solenoid monitoring

Chandu,
here are a couple of solutions :

(1) using and IC: I think you can use a device like National Semiconductor LMD18400 (**broken link removed**) that has a digital error flag to identify open or shorted load. It's indeed an high side driver, a feature always preferred in industrial applications.

(2) Using discrete driver: if you don't want to use an integrated device, you can use a low value resistor put between driver emitter and ground (assuming low-side driving, here). As an example, if the solenoid needs 400mA, you want to use a 1Ω resistor (½W). Now connect the emitter/resistor node to an ADC input of the microcontroller. This will give you 0.4V when the solenoid is working. If the microcontroller uses a 10-bit ADC converter for a 0-5 V range, you will have a 0x00-0x51 ADC range for the solenoid current. If you need an extended measure range, use an op-amp with a gain of 2 or 3 between the node and the ADC input. Every voltage is referenced to ground.

Basically just just need to wire a small value resistor in the solenoid circuit. You can then measure the voltage drop across that resistor with your A/D. If the solenoid is energized there will be some amount of voltage developed across the resistor (use ohms law to calculate the expected value). If the solenoid is de-energized then there will be zero voltage across the resistor.

Good luck

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…