dancing leds

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works fine and should last a long time.

Per Colin you need to provide the part numbers and component values. At a glance the main chip with the LEDs connected is likely a 4017 decade counter divider. When the microphone picks up a loud enough sound the counter will increment up one count so the LEDs will sequentially light and turn off. That is strictly a guess.

Ron

I found your circuit with the explanation. Just like the last circuit you posted.

What part of this do you not understand?

This is the first circuit you posted which has a detailed explanation on the website you got it from as does the new circuit you posted. Just ask about what you do not understand.

Here is the parts list for the current circuit:

Ron

Last edited:
Adopting the additional circuit, only one item for R10, R11, Q1 and Q2 is required to drive up to ten LED strips. On the contrary, one item of R9 and Q3 is necessary to drive each of the strips you decided to use.

I'm not sure why they suggest doing it that way. Maybe another member has a thought on it. If I wanted to drive a load exceeding what the 4017 can support I would just come off the 4017 to the base of a NPN like the one they used or a 2N2222 which can handle a forward current of 800 mA and use current limiting resistors to the rail. I see where Q1 will allow a drop of about .7 volts across R11 and Q2 will be conducting depending on R10 but fail to understand why they use them at all? While I can see where Q1 and Q2 limit the current based on Q2 conduction I don't see the merit to the added transistors rather than using a single resistor to limit the LED current right off the rail. Beats me as in I don't know. Again, maybe someone else sees the merit to it?

Unless since they mention: "D12,D13 etc.____5 or 3mm. LEDs (any type and color)" it allows for a wide range of LEDs to be used as they do not mention the LED forward voltage or current?

Ron

Last edited:
The current sourcing transistors allow the strings of LEDs to have different numbers of LEDs in series and different coloured LEDs (different forward voltages).

The current sourcing transistors allow the strings of LEDs to have different numbers of LEDs in series and different coloured LEDs (different forward voltages).

Thank you AudioGuru, that was my suspicion but I wasn't sure. Makes sense.

Thanks
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…