Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

data moitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan

hello / i am a radio amateur but do not know much about data monitors / i have been given one which has a cathode ray tube with about 4ins square face / there are 5 connections one for 12volts one for negative the other three are marked vid / hs / vs / on power up the screen goes green / i would like to build a simple unit that would allow me to put something on the screen using these video/hor. sync./vert. sync. terminals. i live in warrington cheshire.thank you / logan.

The video input modulates the brightness of the beam. I suspect that hs stands for horizontal sweep not sync, and the same for vertical. You could make a ramp generator for the horizontal, an amplifier for the vertical and have an osilloscope.

Feed it a TV signal, it'll be happy. Black and white only though. You should be able to buy a composite video decoder that will give you the independant Horizontal Vertical and 'video' signals.

Sceadwian said:
You should be able to buy a composite video decoder ...
Or being a radio amateur, you might want to build one using a sync separator chip like this one: **broken link removed**
My Google search for "sync separator" gave almost 70K hits, with this being the very first one.
JB

dear all / thank you for all the interest / i have cut the wires leading to the scan coils and now get a spot on the screen / if i connect one pair of wires back to a coil i get a vertical line and if i connect the other pair to the other coil i get a horizontal line / i would welcome more info / thank you / logan.

For a start, why on earth are you randomly cutting wires?.

As you have already been told, you need a video signal, horizontal sync, and vertical sync - you can easily obtain these from a composite video signal using the LM1881 mentioned.

dear sir / thank you for your reply although i must say that i found it rather abrupt and angry / i do not understand why you say that i am cutting wires at random / out of over a hundred wires if i was cutting at random i would be very lucky to cut the four wires to the scan coils / as i do not know a lot about these monitors i cut the wires to prove to myself what the result would be i am pleased to say i was correct / i know i can get all this info from books but a bit of hands on makes it more interesting / i think so anyway / i am an old age pensioner and when i was young in amateur radio sometimes experimentation was the only way / did you never experiment / i must also say that not all the answers to my post gave the same info but i have picked out what i think is the best and i will be building a unit to give me the signals i want using the lm1881 as you suggest / as there must be lots of people out there who do not know anymore about monitors than i do i posted the info about the cutting of the wires in the hope that it may help them / i now know a lot more about monitors than i did a week ago / all the best / logan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back