Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

decent quality solder for smd work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I really like messing around with electronics. Am sick and tired of being intimidated by components that are smd. Particularly SSOP packages. SOIC, SOT23 packages aren't so bad. I don't even use a loupe on those.

So I've decided to invest time and money in it. I heard multicore is decent so I was thinking of this
https://cpc.farnell.com/multicore-solder/3096525-m/solder-60-40-hi-act-0-5mm-250g/dp/SD00958
It's not mega expensive and I think 250g should be enough for a beginner like me. I like CPC because I can drive there.

I feel stupid asking this. Can I successfully solder SSOP packages with a big tip? By big I mean it covers at least 4-6 pins of a ssop package. My problem is My soldering station is this **broken link removed**. Can you get smaller tips for this ? Although pricey it's actually quite decent.

**broken link removed**
(I don't know what you call the on ein the middle)

Last edited:
I have a similar soldering station. For prototypes, I use a flux pen, or liquid flux with a small paintbrush, and I solder with a tip-tinner.
**broken link removed**
It is possible to use a larger tip. If you bridge, you can remove the solder with solder wick.
One of these is useful too

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back