Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoupling cap for 74HC14 IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urahara

Hi

Is it necessary to put a 0.1uF decoupling cap across the Vcc and Gnd pin of a 74HC14 IC?

Thks!

Yes.

fklj;sdjklgdjfljkgls;kjl;sd

The forum has a minimum post length of something stupid like 10 characters so I pad shorter posts by bashing the keyboard.

Yeah, I hate that minimum message length thing.

It should be reduced to a minimum of three characters, just enough to say "No."

The forum has a minimum post length of something stupid like 10 characters so I pad shorter posts by bashing the keyboard.

Interesting! Now I know your favorite keys you hit when circling overhead the keyboard when hitting them like an eagle. :D

Urahara,

It's good practice on designs using a decoupling cap on most devices. Giving each part a clean voltage is important. Though checking the datasheets for each part is sometimes useful as they may specify the exact value needed for that device. Though, a .1uF is usually fine.

Is it necessary to put a 0.1uF decoupling cap across the Vcc and Gnd pin of a 74HC14 IC?
The answer is generally NO as the chip has such a high hysteresis value that it is extremely noise immune.

If the 74HC14 is the only IC in you circuit, than colin55 is probably right. But if you have any other ICs, then you should add a cap across each IC to avoid switching current spikes (which generate voltage spikes) from propagating to the other devices.

Logic circuits generally require at least one capacitor in the range 0.01 to 0.1 uF somewhere relatively near the chips. A conservative designer might place one at every chip. If the 74HC14 is near other properly bypassed chips then it can share one of its capacitors. Often the power supply has capacitors on its output and if the 74HC14 is within a few inches it might share that capacitance.

If the 74HC14 is too distant from all of these other caps, it should have a bypass capacitor.

You certainly can build a 74HC14 circuit with no cap, and it will probably work. My personal preference is to build circuits that always work.

I think what Colin says makes sense, it's a Schmitt trigger IC, therefore it should have good noise rejection and shouldn't need a supply bypass capacitor.

Be that as it may, the input can tolerate slow edges but the output switching is still fast with sharp edges which can induce Vcc spike noise. A bypass cap should still be used as it is the output switching that is of concern.

Last edited:
What's the hysteresis of a Schmitt trigger?

What's the impedance of a typical battery and wiring?

How much noise would you have to have before the Schmitt trigger would operate? A heck of a lot.

If the HC14 was used to clean up a slowly changing signal, it will probably work with no bypass.

For the cost of a capacitor (about $0.004) I prefer to make it always work.

If the HC14 was used to clean up a slowly changing signal, it will probably work with no bypass.

For the cost of a capacitor (about $0.004) I prefer to make it always work.

And it will switch faster if there is stored charge available nearby, ie. minimal inductance in the supply line.

Irregardless of the hysteresis at the input, the output of the HC14 is like any other logic device and will generate transients as the output switches. These transients will appear at a high impedance point such as that of a non bypassed Vcc pin. It is therefore a good idea and common practice to put in a bypass cap . 74HC14 logic shown below.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
No ...................

That's a good idea, use white text, I don't know if it's worth the hassle.

I know, I'm going to add that white text to my Opera notes so I don't need to bother when I make a short post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back