Design of a Wideband Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravi

Hello Friends,

I would like to build a wideband antenna covering up to 500 MHz. I need some construction details such as calculating lengths, spacing etc.

Appreciate very much if some one suggest me a suitable link or give details.

Thanks
Have a nice day!

Ravi
Colombo
Sri Lanka

Ravi, see if you can borrow the book "ARRL antenna handbook" from your library or a friendly local radio amateur.
Look there for 'log periodic' antenna designs, these can be made fairly wide band.
good luck,
Klaus

Ravi - take a look at ARRL or RSGB websites. Some choices for 2 meters might be ground plane, 5/8 wave vertical, j-pole, colinear or simple dipole in a vertical orientation. All of these are omni-directional.

I am presuming that the 500 mHz bandwidth is an error. 2 meters is only 144 mHz.

Yagi, beam and quad are descriptors for directional antennas but as with the verticals above, bandwidth will be limited. Be careful with using a horizontal design in a vertical orientation - a metal mast can profoundly affect the antenna.

Log-periodic and discone would be words used to describe more broadbanded directional antennas.

stevez said:
I am presuming that the 500 mHz bandwidth is an error. 2 meters is only 144 mHz.

I wonder if he was wanting a dual band aerial, 2M and 70cm?.

Presumably, as he's wanting 2M, he's a licensed radio amateur?, but his original question was extremely vague, and his follow up not much better.

For example, is this a transmit aerial, or just a receive aerial?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…