Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desktop Replacement Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Ok, i am in the market for a Desktop Replacement Laptop. It cannot be ANYMORE than $700-$800 (ebay or newegg.com). My job doesn't pay very much, and i only work part time, so the cheaper the better. ;)

NO DELLS!!

Ok, now that that is cleared up :)D), i would like it to run 2GHz or more (AMD preferred), 1GB of ram (preferably DDR2), and it MUST have decent graphics. nVIDIA graphics are a must, unless the other specs make up for it. Also, it would be best if the graphics had dedicated RAM.

I really like Compaq, so i was thinking of getting a Compaq/HP V6420US.
SPECS:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 1.7GHz (fine since it is 64 x2)
Up to 2GB of DDR2.
nVidia GeForce Go 6150 (non dedicated ram, but that is ok)
SATA HD controller
15.4" Wide-Screen
and much more. ;)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good laptops that are desktop replacement worthy?

Marks256 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good laptops that are desktop replacement worthy?

If you're using it on the desktop, why not just get a desktop computer?, they are far faster, far cheaper, far easier to repair and upgrade - if you NEED a laptop fair enough, pay the extra and get the poorer performance, but it seems stupid otherwise?.

Anyway, I suggest you buy a Dell desktop! :p

build your own desktop. Then it will do what you want

Styx said:
build your own desktop. Then it will do what you want

Uuuh, i am insulted! The machine i am at right now i built up about two years ago! :mad:

specs:
AMD sempron 2800+ (1.6GHz)
512MB DDR
DVD+/-RW
DVD-ROM
40GB SATA
2x 40GB IDE drives in RAID 0
450Watt PSU

I have only bragged about it how many times here on the forum? :rolleyes:

Nigel Goodwin said:
If you're using it on the desktop, why not just get a desktop computer?, they are far faster, far cheaper, far easier to repair and upgrade - if you NEED a laptop fair enough, pay the extra and get the poorer performance, but it seems stupid otherwise?.

Anyway, I suggest you buy a Dell desktop!

I want a laptop because it saves space, and i go to a lot of LAN parties. As for performance, i think i have found what i am looking for.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834280004&Tpk=Everex+XT5000T
Isn't it awesome!? :D

Oh, and nigel, it will be a cold day in hell before i EVER use a dell.

I agree. I was looking at a desktop replacment for a long time. In the end I went with a desktop because I got a machine that was about 3x or 4x more capable for 2/3 of the price. Get a good desktop, and if you want a laptop, get a cheap one. You won't be doing video processing or playing video games on the road anyways. If you do, then save some more money to get a laptop that is decent (not phenomenal) for game playing. Do you really go to enough LANs to offset everything else you do on your computer to warrant the lower performance for higher price? Probably not.

That laptop you're looking at is gonna get outdated fast (if not so already). My friend has a superior desktop for that price.

I like www.memoryexpress.com. My brand new PC is from there. But they are local for me. woohoo!

Last edited:
What ever guys. Sorry even posted this thread here. I can already tell this is going to turn into a flame thread. :(

Please specify whether you want our opinions or reinforcement of yours. Because I can do both.

Marks256 said:
Uuuh, i am insulted! The machine i am at right now i built up about two years ago! :mad:

specs:
512MB DDR
DVD+/-RW
DVD-ROM
40GB SATA
450Watt PSU

I have only bragged about it how many times here on the forum? :rolleyes:

It always puzzled me why you did?, it's not as if it's any great spec or anything?.

I want a laptop because it saves space, and i go to a lot of LAN parties. As for performance, i think i have found what i am looking for.

So use the laptop for your parties, and use your old desktop at home, obviously with the laptop optionally networked to it - I would have thought your desktop would easily out perform the laptop you mentioned, particularly as it runs Vista!.

Why do you need a powerful computer?

Are you a gamer?

Do you do lots of video editing/ripping DVDs?

Why do you want a new computer?

It sucks when you want a new PC but don't have a job (do you work?) Otherwise it shouldn't be so far fetched to get the PC of your dreams...especially when you have no living expenses!

Nigel Goodwin said:
It always puzzled me why you did?, it's not as if it's any great spec or anything?.

Umm, because i didn't have a job, very liitle money, and the computer i had before i made this one ran an AMD duron 750MHz with 256MB of ram, 4GB hd, CD-ROM drive, and Winblows 98! I must say i did pretty good for under $400!!!

Hero999 said:
Why do you need a powerful computer?

Are you a gamer?

Do you do lots of video editing/ripping DVDs?

Why do you want a new computer?

Yes, i am a gamer, yes i do a lot of video editing and ripping DVD's.

Why do i need a new computer? You try running Half Life 2 on a system with
specs:
512MB DDR
DVD+/-RW
DVD-ROM
40GB SATA
450Watt PSU
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now let me guess, guys, now you are going to say that shuttle pc's (XPC) are crap, too? :rolleyes:

dknguyen said:
It sucks when you want a new PC but don't have a job (do you work?) Otherwise it shouldn't be so far fetched to get the PC of your dreams...especially when you have no living expenses!

Yes, i work at a local Nursing Home as a Dietary Aid (basically wash dishes). I only get $8 an hour. I should be able to afford that everex in about a month (i have quite a bit saved up for a new computer)

I was looking at cube PCs for a while (that's what I call shuttle PCs). The photos are very misleading. I was under the impression they were a little big larger than a Gamecube with the similar power as PC...turns out they're massive bricks that you can't expand very easily.

$8 is better than what I was making during high school 4 years ago (so old and haven't done anything yet)...and yours is $8 USD! Though it doesn't make so much of a difference now (but it did when I bought my other PC).

Neat I just noticed that laptop has a numberpad. That's my number one criteria when picking a laptop. Don't forget the video card...though I've heard the integrated ATI chipset that comes with AMDs is quite good (the best integrated chipset out there).

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
Yes, i am a gamer, yes i do a lot of video editing and ripping DVD's.

Why do i need a new computer? You try running Half Life 2 on a system with
specs:

So do you think the laptop is going to be faster than your old computer?, I would VERY much think it will be considerably slower - I've never seen a laptop yet that made me think "wow, that's fast!" - but I've seen many desktop's that do (but not mine! :D ).

I have seen shuttle pc's in action at some of the lan parties i have been to. HOLY CRAP they are good!!! They run SILENT and COOL. They are SLICK! :)

I was going to get a shuttle, but i decided to get a laptop instead.

My current laptop is OK, but it is getting old. It is about 3-4 years old.

Gateway 4026
Intel Celeron @ 1.3GHz
40GB hd
512MB of ram
32MB shared video memory
(got linux and windows on it)

Yeah, i am not complaining about the $8 (yes USD). :) It is a pretty good income to fund being a geek. I still need to save for college, though, so it will still take me a month or two to get that Everex.

Nigel Goodwin said:
So do you think the laptop is going to be faster than your old computer?, I would VERY much think it will be considerably slower - I've never seen a laptop yet that made me think "wow, that's fast!" - but I've seen many desktop's that do (but not mine! ).

Check out the Alienware laptops, Nigel.

Here is just an example: **broken link removed**

For the record, i plan on putting Windows XP on the new laptop (i will keep vista on, as well (for halo 2)), and linux on another partition. ;)

I prefer my monster sized tower. When my friend first saw it yesterday the first thing he said was "holy crap, that thing is huge!"

Somehow I thought you were buying an O-Scope ? Any laptop will be junk in a few years. A nice scope will be with you for decades.

I have to agree with everyone here who thinks a laptop is a waste of money.

From an engineering standpoint laptops are difficult to cool. For that reason a non-laptop is less expensive to build. More bang for the buck. The battery is going to need replacement. That is not not so much of an issue as it used to be, but it will die in time.

I would put the same money in a small footprint PC and a nice monitor. Your choice of keyboard etc. Better yet keep your PC and get a scope!

Your life your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back