Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dicreased Gain in bandpass

Status
Not open for further replies.

picozero

Hi all!
I am designing a standard second order bandpass for the range [0.5-5] Hz :
**broken link removed**

High-pass section:
C1 ,C2 = 1 microF
R1 = 450 kOhm
R2 = 225 kOhm

Low-pass section:
R1,R2 = 48 kOhm ≈ 47 kOhm
C1 = 1 microF
C2 = 0.5 microF

I am using an LM386, and non electrolitics capacitors.
The input signals is suppose to be a square wave of max amplitude of 2V.
The power supply +Supply is meant to be 9V and +Supply/2 4.5 (a 9V battery and a voltage divider made by two equal resistors).
The gain is unitary. The signal I am using to test is very small (from the frequency generator of the oscillator).

I have done it and tested with an oscillator and a frequency generator (integrated in my amplifier).
Varying the frequency it looks like the passband is working (at 1 kHz the signal is almost completely attenuated and there is no more square wave).

Now we go to my questions:
The amplitude is reduced .
1) How can this be possible if my gain is unitary ?
I don't have a graduated oscilloscope so I cannot check how much is the dicrease, but it looks like 1 Volt/Div.
Is there any explanation for this ? The behavior appears even if I remove the High-part section.

2) Is the filter really working ? I mean, can be that the attenuation is an effect related to the tesion decrease ?

3) Is there anything besides the AC-DC switch in the oscilloscope I should change when I play with AC signals ?

Thank you in advance.

The LM386 is a power amplifier. Why not use a standard op-amp.

This same thread with the capacitors in the lowpass filter mixed-up is at www.allaboutcircuits.com .
He might try using 741 opamps but I explained that some do not work from a supply as low as 9V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back