Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diesel engine remote starting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your starter motor is only going to be able to spin the crank at some given maximum RPM. Detecting the RPM and checking for rotation that is well in excess of that should work. The Bendix of the starter should release from a slight overspeed I'd think.

Dean

I agree with Dean. The load on the starter motor will reduce dramactically if the engine has started and is running on its own.

Just sense the starter current to determine this condition.

I agree with Dean. The load on the starter motor will reduce dramactically if the engine has started and is running on its own.

Just sense the starter current to determine this condition.

Sense starter current? Won't that be rather complicated? Also sensing alternator voltage doesn't seem like a good idea - what if the alternator has failed? The starter would continue cranking even when the engine has started.

Sensing RPM on injector wire seems the best way, but how would I do this?

xx :)

Microcontroller is the answer

was just looking for a circuit to operate the engines starter motor. it needs to be energized to start the engine, but how does the circuit know that the engine has started and it can stop cranking it over? that's the only part that i can't figure out. if it's a human doing it, he just lets go of the key when the engine starts. how does a circuit know when to let go of the key?

i was wanting to see a circuit where some one else has handeled this problem to get some ideas for my own circuit.

Hi Mike,

I have built a computerized controller for my diesel engine that does exactly what you are looking for.

I use a hall effect sensor and a magnet on the flywheel to determine RPM.

When cranking, I wait until the RPM exceeds a certain speed to determine if the engine has started. Using oil pressure won't work, because the engine starts long before the oil pressure comes up. Also, the alternator does not start putting out power until the engine is near full speed, so that is not useful in determining when the engine has started.

Here is a video showing the start sequence:
**broken link removed**

The start sequence is as follows:
  1. Move speed control to start position
  2. Engage Glow plug for fixed amount of time
  3. Start cranking
  4. when rpm exceeds 300rpm, disengage starter
  5. move speed control to run

I'm also using a PID controller to tune the engine speed to exactly 1800 rpm. If you watch the video closely, you can see the PID overshoot the target RPM, then back off to the correct speed. (The PID controller was not fully tuned when the video was made.)

Unless you are a glutton for punishment, or enjoy building and programming your own controller, I suggest you stick with one of the commercially available controllers. That being said, if you are interested, you can see full schematics and description of the controller hereAutomatic Generator Controller

Alternatively, investigate the Lister Startomatic

**broken link removed**

Rick...

"I use a hall effect sensor and a magnet on the flywheel to determine RPM."

In the design and manufacture of rotating machinery, it is often critical to have the moving parts dynamically balanced, in order to reduce vibration and wear .... over the lifetime of the mechanism. Even a few grams can make a difference at higher rpm levels ... either causing a knock, or premature failure due to wear.

It may be prudent to determine the weight of the magnet which you attached to the flywheel, and affix a weight of identical magnitude at a point that is diametrically opposite, and symmetrical about the main rotating axis.

Last edited:
How to know if the Power supply is from Diesel Generator?

Guys, I know nothing about electrical as I am Computer Guy but i do have a problem for you to apply your electrical mind... Let me try to explain. I live in a Flat in residential society, our society has 750 KVA big Diesel Generator and the power supply in my home comes 2 ways

1. Direct supply of Government Power Grid when electricity is there.
2. If electricity gone, the common society DG starts and we get power supply from DG.

the Meter to record the consumption for both is same and in my flat I have no way to know if the power that we are using is of DG or direct electricity...

I want to know the possible ways of implementing any mechanism, indicators etc in my Flat so if the DG supply is on, the indicator can light on and if DG is off and supply is from Government Power Grid.... light is of so I can see if DG is ON and can consume the DG units accordingly as DG supply units costs 3 times the normal government Grid supply.

Any idea of having any such mechanism in my House to differentiate between both kind of supply. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back