Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Guages through ODB II port

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to build a custom set of gauges to fit in a DIN sized enclosure for my Subaru, as I have a spare DIN in my dashboard. The gauges I want are a boost gauge, water temp, engine oil temp, and voltage. I have a design for all the gauges using precision after market sensors. Before I finalize the design and begin construction I want to re-search the possibility of building an interface that would allow the information for the guages to be pulled through the vehicles ODB II port, eliminating the extra sensors. I'm pretty sure it can be done, Scanguage (https://www.scangauge.com/) has something very similar to what I want, but I want something that looks like it belongs in the dash, not something just stuck there. Basically I need something to convert the ODB II info back into linear voltages to drive the digital gauges that I'm building, which are essentially voltmeters. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Why go from digital (OBDII) to linear analogue voltages back to digital ?

Best thing to do is to get the OBDII translated into a datastream then pick off the data relevant to the gauges by the individual gauges themselves.

I've been working on a similar system for the past couple of years and I'm nearly at the stage of being able to retail them.

picbits said:
Why go from digital (OBDII) to linear analogue voltages back to digital ?

Best thing to do is to get the OBDII translated into a datastream then pick off the data relevant to the gauges by the individual gauges themselves.

I've been working on a similar system for the past couple of years and I'm nearly at the stage of being able to retail them.

I guess that would work fine, I don't know how pull any info from the data in the ODB II port, which is why I started this thread. As long as I can have an LED bar graph for the boost gauge and 7 segment LED displays for the others I don't much care what's in between as long as it's reasonably priced.

Does anyone know of a device or schematic to read ODB II data and translate it to something that can be read as voltages? I don't understand the protocols of ODB data or how to decode them.

Contact FunnyNYPD and ask him. It's not likely an easy project if you're not familiar with microcontrollers. CAN bus stuff for cars tends to be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back