Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Storage Oscilloscope Sample Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gayan Soyza

Guys in your DSO when reading a pulse let say 1Khz pulse do you change the sample modes in "Acquire" settings?

Default it comes "Sample" there are another two "Average" & "peak" samples.

With the default it gives the waveform with some noise & when in the Average mode samples are taken after averaging so the waveform is smoothed.

Do you guys use this setting?

I sometimes use those other modes. Average is good for measuring the pulse amplitude at the output of an RF detector (and for measuring other signals that have a lot a random noise on top of them). The baseline noise also rides on the top of the pulse, making measurement of the pulse amplitude tricky. Averaging averages out the random noise, leaving a clean top.

Peak mode is what I know as envelope mode (maybe they are not the same?) whereby the trace data is accumulated from trace to trace and the only peak amplitude is displayed. This can sometimes catch glitches that would otherwise be hard to see.

Ok thanks for the input.

With the "Auto" button pressed it will make out the best waveform to suits to the screen.But it will auto shift to "Sample" mode in "Acquire" settings.

So I have to again set the "Average" sample in the "Acquire".

Is this normal in your scopes?

Ok thanks for the input.

With the "Auto" button pressed it will make out the best waveform to suits to the screen.But it will auto shift to "Sample" mode in "Acquire" settings.

So I have to again set the "Average" sample in the "Acquire".

Is this normal in your scopes?

i normaly use auto mode but yes it seems to change settings on me and dosnt normaly like my choice of settings :S. one day i am going to study the more advanced features on the scope. what make is it? my gould has the features you mention but the HP scope i have is different and if you alter settings on it while in auto mode thay stay as you set them, if that makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back