digital television signal, wireless distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffrod

Hi,
just joined this forum, as i was directed here whilst doing a search with google with regards xbee wireless modules.
I am by no means nor do i profess to have much knowledge at all about electronics, but i have a real life problem i would like to try and solve if i can with the help of those who have got a clue.
in a nut shell, i need to know to start with, are the xbee modules capable of receiving the digital tv signal that comes from a normal household antenne that is place on the outsde of the roof, that then comes out of a normal rf wall socket, and then are they capable of sening that signal wirelessly to another receiver module?
reason being is i have a couple of digital tv sets in my house that dont have great reception using rabbit ear antenne, and they cant plug straight into a normal wall socket, as there is only 1 of those, and there are 3 tv's to share it.
anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, please be gentle if i am barking up the wrong tree.
regards
geoff

Yes, you're barking up the wrong tree.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing available that will do what you want - the answer is simply to run wires to the two TV's from your main aerial.

Each TV needs a REAL high gain high frequency antenna (made for digital TV), not Mickey Mouse rabbit ears.
If you live far from civilization then a single high gain high frequency digital antenna can feed an amplifier that can feed your TVs but in a city an ordinary amplifier is overloaded by all the local TV stations.

Cable TV companies use a VERY EXPENSIVE distribution amplifier in cities that is not overloaded. Buy one.

XBEE modules are a completely different device than DTV. Zigbee (the protocol used by these modules) is a very low data rate (some "high speed" Zigbee radios have enough bandwidth to do low-grade voice communication). DTV is a very high data rate (8-32Mb/s) vs Zigbee's 2-48kb/s. the DTV signal is also a 6Mhz wide continuous streaming transmission, while Zigbee works in small bursts of relatively narrow bandwidth.

if you have a very good roof antenna, you could use it to make a passive repeater inside the house. the "repeater" would be a second antenna, strategically placed within the house to re-radiate the signal picked up on the roof.

Last edited:
thanks nigel,
i appreciate your time.
whilst what you suggest is the easiest option, it is far from desirable.
regards
geoff

thanks a lot audioguru for your reply,
i will deffinitely look at some high gain high frequency antenna.
i live in the suburbs in australia on the east coast.
it is purely a lack of planning on my behalf that i am in this situation, so am just trying to find a solution.
regards
Geoff

If necessary, you could boost the repeater signal with a high gain UHF antenna amp such as this.

Ok uncle, thankyou for the information, as i said before , and i am sure it has now been confirmed to all, i dont know much!!!!, so you have my attention with your sugestion of a repeater, how does one go about aquiring one of these or making one of these?

regards
Geoff

Each TV needs a REAL high gain high frequency antenna (made for digital TV), not Mickey Mouse rabbit ears.
This is completely bogus and one of the biggest pieces of misinformation told about digital TV, it's also one of the biggest things spread by makers of on air antennas to try to sell 'digital antennas' for 5 times market price. There is absolutely nothing special whatsoever about a digital TV antenna the frequencies are exactly the same. I can pick up all but one local TV station on rabbit ears when they're positioned properly and the broadcasting station is 20 miles away. I can even pick up stations from 50+ miles away under good conditions.

The only caveat about digital TV signals is what would give you a 'bad picture' on an analog TV will give you rubbish on a digital TV, outdoor antenna's are virtually required but they don't have to be super high gain unless you live in a very isolated area or are trying to pick up signals from a neighboring city.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…