Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIP(8 position) switch pulses on oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jononomous

How would I wire up a 8 position dip switch and be able to see the pulse different on an oscilloscope? Initially I thought wire all the hots up to one line and all the grounds to one line and the oscilloscope would pick up the switch difference depending on which were on and off... ie pulse timings; but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Wire the DIP switch to the input of a an 8bit parallel DAC; then you will get 256 different voltage levels corresponding to 256 different settings of the switches.

Wire the DIP switch to eight binary weighted resistors (i.e. 1K, 2K, 4K 8K, 16K, 32K, 64K, and 128K). That will give you 256 different currents that you can feed into an opamp which converts it to 256 different voltage levels corresponding to 256 different settings of the switches.

Same as above, but connect it to the timing resistor in and oscillating 555 astable oscillator. You will get 256 different pulse rates corresponding to 256 different settings of the switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back