Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reed contact for disk position

Dr.Dree

Hi,

What would be the most basic circuit for controlling 1 revolution of a disk at the push of a button? As per below schematic, the disk turns CW until the marker meets a sensor. Then, with a single push/release of the button, the disk makes the next revolution. Etc.
Disk speed 60 rpm. Position accuracy is not required. Circuit power ±10W. Mechanical, optical, magnetic, etc. solutions are allowed.

1718978674903.png

Thank you

Solution
Have you decided on the sensor, or is that part of the question?

This can be as simple as a SPST switch with NC (normally-closed) contacts. When a protrusion/extension/whatever on the wheel hits the switch, the contacts open and the motor stops. To start things, connect a SPST switch with NO (normally-open) contacts, like most simple pushbutton switches, in parallel with the sensor switch. Hold down the pushbutton long enough for the motor to move the disk off of the sensor switch.

ak
Save me the preaching. I have been a Test Eng Mgr and Eng Mgr for two major global firms. People who ask fundamental questions may not be aware of why switches fail and how to prevent it.

Ha, test engineers & quality engineers. Never let them near the customer.
You are kind of "funny".

I was also offered Quality Mgr at Seagate in Scott's Valley Cali. and 1st outsourced design firm for Lucent/Avaya in Denver for cost and quick-turn reasons.

Infamous Ken Wing at Seagate wanted me to replace his position so he could be promoted to VP. HR asked me why they should hire me from Canada when so many Disk Drive Engineers were in Cali. I said I knew all their competitors better than anyone else.

Last edited:
You are kind of funny.

I was also offered Quality Mgr at Seagate in Scott's Valley Cali. and 1st outsourced design firm for Lucent/Avaya in Denver for cost and quick-turn reasons.

Infamous Ken Wing at Seagate wanted me to replace his position so he could be promoted to VP. HR asked me why they should hire me from Canada when so many Disk Drive Engineers were in Cali. I said I knew all their competitors better than anyone else.
Exactly.

Latest threads

Back